running shoes or walking shoes to start c25k?

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
So basically, I need to replace my walking shoes (properly fitted at a New Balance store last year) and I'm planning to start c25k soon. I fell into a research rabbit hole about how you shouldn't use walking shoes for running, but I can't get any kind of gait analysis done now with physical stores closed (and even if I could, I wouldn't bc pandemic). And I don't really have a "gait" yet - I've done 30 second running intervals during mostly-walks, but I'm definitely far from flat out running.

So I'm wondering if, people with c25k/running/jogging experience, you would think it's better to use walking shoes for the start of the program, or to get a pair of decent running shoes in a brand/size that is likely to fit mostly well (bc I've been professionally fitted at the store semi-recently)?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I use running shoes for walking and running, so if you can, I'd get a good pair of running shoes now. You'll be running at least 1/2 mile in a few weeks, so it's worth getting them if you can. Walking shoes are a bit more rigid, which may be painful for running. You are also more likely to walk heel to toe, whereas when running you may run with more of a midfoot or forefoot strike, so the extra padding in the heel won't be useful.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Sometimes you can find similar shoes to what you already like. Google "running shoes similar to ___" and put the shoes you like. Some brands have "sister shoes" that will fit similarly and have the same kind of support but in a different style.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I wouldn’t run in walking shoes, for the reasons stated above.

Try taking the test on the Brooks site to determine if you need stability shoes. Also have a family member crouch and watch you run towards them (better yet take a video) and tell you if your feet go any direction other than straight. If you don’t actually paddle like a duck, you will probably be better off with ordinary neutral running shoes (New Balance is fine and you know your size) than with walking shoes.

If you end up with unexpected pain anywhere, you can revisit the shoes.
  • kiela64
    edited May 2020

Try taking the test on the Brooks site to determine if you need stability shoes. Also have a family member crouch and watch you run towards them (better yet take a video) and tell you if your feet go any direction other than straight. If you don’t actually paddle like a duck, you will probably be better off with ordinary neutral running shoes (New Balance is fine and you know your size) than with walking shoes.

Thank you for recommending this test! It does recommend I use support shoes, so that's really useful to know. My feet do go outwards just a bit. I'm guessing because it's not overly pronounced, either would be okay-ish, but stability might be better.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I run 4 miles a day and I started getting calluses on my toes. I’m a 7.5 and I always wore an 8 in asics. My sister is a runner and also a 7.5, she was fitted into a Brooks size 9. So I also purchased Brooks in a 9 and got Bombas socks. I highly recommend both. I had to go up 1.5 sizes for running. I had no idea that just a half size wasn’t enough.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I run 4 miles a day and I started getting calluses on my toes. I’m a 7.5 and I always wore an 8 in asics. My sister is a runner and also a 7.5, she was fitted into a Brooks size 9. So I also purchased Brooks in a 9 and got Bombas socks. I highly recommend both. I had to go up 1.5 sizes for running. I had no idea that just a half size wasn’t enough.

This is enormously dependent on the person and the shoe. Most of my running shoes (including the few Brooks models I wear) are true to size (not 1/2 or any size up). One specific brand/model is 1 full size up. A different brand/model I get 1/2 size up. A different brand/model I get 1/2 size DOWN. Automatically getting 1.5 sizes up could easily lead to trying to run in a pair of clown shoes.

So running shoes may not need to size up at all (even if you’re running marathon distance). It will depend on the person and the shoe.
  • Duck_Puddle
    What shoe model are you walking in now? A number of the shoes that new balance tours as walking shoes are their running shoes. Not all of them though. But it’s possible you’re already wearing running shoes.
  • kiela64
    What shoe model are you walking in now? A number of the shoes that new balance tours as walking shoes are their running shoes. Not all of them though. But it’s possible you’re already wearing running shoes.

Oh interesting! Thanks! I'm wearing the 847.
  • Duck_Puddle
    kiela64 wrote: »

Oh interesting! Thanks! I'm wearing the 847.

Darn. Sadly that’s a straight up walking shoe. So that’s no help.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

Thank you for recommending this test! It does recommend I use support shoes, so that's really useful to know. My feet do go outwards just a bit. I'm guessing because it's not overly pronounced, either would be okay-ish, but stability might be better.

Be very, very, very careful here. Getting some corrective shoes based on some internet questionnaire could lead to a very bad outcome. If in doubt and cannot get to a store, stick with neutral shoes.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    And to comment on sizing - All my shoes are true to size unless I know specifically that they run small or large. And even then I try them first since many times reviews and suggestions from strangers on the internet have little to do with my actual foot size and shape. It is always best to try them first.
  • kiela64
    dewd2 wrote: »

Be very, very, very careful here. Getting some corrective shoes based on some internet questionnaire could lead to a very bad outcome. If in doubt and cannot get to a store, stick with neutral shoes.

Thank you for the correction! I did a bit more googling of specific terms and ended up coming back to neutral as well. Seems like the all-round safest bet. And thank you for the size tip too! Luckily the NB store offers free returns, so I'll start with my expected size and if it's not right I can probably exchange.

I know it can't be completely perfect this way, ideally I'd go in-store, but with the pandemic and all I'd much rather do the best I can from home. So thank you so much for your advice!