Sore legs when running

Hi guys, so I've recently taken up the C25K and about to start week 3. I think I might need some decent trainers though because the bottom half of my shins are hurting as my feet hit the ground and assuming that is my shoes and not shin splints.

Replies

• Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    YES get decent trainers. You will be genuinely amazed the difference it makes.

Are you somewhere where you’re able to go to a running store? If so, go and get your gait looked at and some recommendations.

If not, extensive online research and see if you can work out your own gait? If you’re really in the dark then Nike Pegasus are a decent all-round shoe. Or ASICS are good if you’re narrow of foot - I always default to ASICS.

Maybe also watch a couple of YouTube videos on running form? Improving your form will make a huge difference to how your legs (and the rest of your body) feel during and after running.

I wouldn’t assume it’s shin splints in week 3 of C25k - you shouldn’t be suffering from overuse at that point.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Yes! You need to get fitted! After that, you may still feel some leg pain, because you aren't used to running. Slow your pace down a bit and relax. Speed comes and muscle grows.
  • stuarta99
    stuarta99 Posts: 93 Member
    edited May 2020
    Ok great thanks. Enjoying the running just think I must have done something to my foot but was ok while running, just lower legs as I hit the ground which then goes upto knees.

We have a runnersneed so will try to pop there when they are open properly. What's a ball park figure I should be looking at to spend?

Just realised it is ASICS I have at the moment but just a cheap one I think, T1G2N
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited May 2020
    stuarta99 wrote: »
    Ok great thanks. Enjoying the running just think I must have done something to my foot but was ok while running, just lower legs as I hit the ground which then goes upto knees.

We have a runnersneed so will try to pop there when they are open properly. What's a ball park figure I should be looking at to spend?

Just realised it is ASICS I have at the moment but just a cheap one I think, T1G2N

It’s not the dollar amount that matters, it’s the setup of the shoe and whether or not the shoe is designed for the shape of your foot and the way your foot moves when you run.

When you walk/run, your foot will naturally roll inwards some. The amount it rolls is what determines the type of shoe you need. ASICS (and most brands) makes shoes for people who barely roll in at all and people who roll all the way in. The worst place to get shoe advice is asking random strangers on the internet what they think is a “good” shoe (unless your foot is shaped the same and your foot moves the same and you prefer the same level of cushion/balance of the shoe/toe drop/etc-someone else’s “best” shoe could cause you injury).

So go to a running store. Have them watch your feet while you walk/run. They will analyze your gait (how you move when you walk/run) and measure your foot (length/width/height/overall shape) and suggest shoes that will probably be a good match.

If you’re concerned about cost, you can ask if they have an older model of something that might work. Shoe companies redo their shoes all the time and usually the previous model is then discounted.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    In addition to the advice already given (don't listen to ANYONE who tells you to get a certain brand of shoe and get fitted at a antual running specialty store), I'll add some advice about form.

Make sure your feet are landing under you. Often new runners over stride. Over striding not only slows you down it can cause pain and injury. Think about keeping your steps short and quick. Keep your posture straight (don't bend over at the back) and swing your arms perpendicular with your legs.

Don't do more than your plan says. If you find the plan to be too much it is OK to back off a day or even a week. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks. Lastly, I'll repeat slow down. If you can't sing while you're running you're going to fast.

Good luck.
  • stuarta99
    stuarta99 Posts: 93 Member
    I'm not too concerned about cost, just curious really but had a rough look on runnersneed and about the gait so will try and get out there when they reopen.

Pace wise I am taking it easy and today my breathing was better after focusing on it and not gasping. I did find in the 1st run I had to take extra an breather but by the end of that week I could do it easily. The same was with week 2 and I had to have extra an breather on Monday, yet today I didn't which I was pleased with.

To be honest I'm just happy going out and doing something and by getting to the park early in the morning, I have a much better mental rest of the day than I do on those days when I don't, so some positive out of furlough
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Expect to pay anywhere from $80 to $160 depending on what you want. There's really not much difference between the cheaper pair and the more expensive ones if you are just starting out. The differences are more subtle for experienced runners who want more out of their shoes (for racing, long runs, tempo runs, etc).

I've been known to drop $250 on my Nike's for marathon racing (twice :# ) but my normal daily trainers are closer to the $110 price point.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2020
    I agree with all of the above. I had horrendous shin splints when I first started back running (I was prone to them years ago as well) - mine was a combo of old, broken down shoes and a horrendous heel strike. I went to a local running store and with their guidance got new shoes and tips for changing my overall stride. It took a while for it to feel natural, but I am now running easy miles (never thought I could say that!)

I will say, in the early weeks of C25K, as my body adjusted, I would be so sore I couldn’t walk. Compression sleeves helped tremendously both during and after a run... you can also ice your shins which could help a little. I had to repeat weeks as well, and space some out due to soreness.