How did you come up with your goal weight?

Options
I am 29, male, 6'3" and started at 216 lbs. I am down to 201 lbs as of my last weigh-in and am looking forward to weighing-in at under 200 lbs for the first time in a long time in a few days.

My goal is set to 175 lbs on MFP allowing for 5 lbs of water weight to come back so my goal is really 180 lbs. I chose 180 lbs because I looked at healthy height weight charts and that seems to be in the middle of the healthy range for my height and frame.

Also, this is a tangent but I'm curious what you all think. I have been reading a lot on here and I seem to be eating less than some people who are significantly shorter than I am.

I have my activity level set to sedentary since I'm not overly active on any given day. I have it set to lose 2 lbs a week. My current net calorie goal is 1450. Does that sound low or about right?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I started at target -10 lbs, then evaluated and lowered. Ultimately ended up -20. Going in for hydro analysis tomorrow to re-evaluate goals.

1450 is ridiculous for a 6'3 guy. You'll be dropping a lot of lean mass unless you're just really high body fat.
  • Vicki8mitchell
    Options
    I used the insurance tables.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I decided what I wanted my body fat percentage to be, and based my goal weight on my current lean body mass, then subtracted the number of pounds of fat I wanted to lose.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Simple:

Goal Weight = (Lean Body Mass) / (1 - Desired Body Fat Percentage)

To know your Lean Body Mass you need to accurately measure your current Body Fat Percentage.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    blind+darts.jpg

And what kind of skinny minny are you that at 6' 3" your goal weight is under 200?? and 1430 calories a day??? dude, guys shouldn't wear skinny jeans. guys should have to struggle to find jeans that can contain their thighs.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The BMI tables are complete BS. They do not account for body composition. According to my height and weight I am over 30% or obese. Male, 5ft 9in, 210 lbs. I went to a sports doctor and had my body fat measured and I was 16.4% body fat. Doesn't add up. I did not use any charts. I picked 190lbs because that was my lowest weight when I was in the Army. If I am not happy after hitting that goal I will continue.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

My goal was to fit back in a specific pair of jeans, so when MFP required a goal weight I chose the weight I remembered being the last time they fit. I got back in the jeans long ago but never did reach that weight (yet).
    Also, this is a tangent but I'm curious what you all think. I have been reading a lot on here and I seem to be eating less than some people who are significantly shorter than I am.

I have my activity level set to sedentary since I'm not overly active on any given day. I have it set to lose 2 lbs a week. My current net calorie goal is 1450. Does that sound low or about right?

Sounds low to me and 2 lbs a week sounds a little agressive, especially without exercise. Exercise is so important to health that I'd suggest adding it to your plan and eating more. But a man of your height should probably eat more even if sedentary.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I figured my LBM by deducting fat %, then added 15% back to that so I'd be whatever LBM+15% body fat.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's a weight and body size that I was reasonably comfortable with a couple of years ago. I realise I'm never going to be satisfied with my weight or how I look, but my goal weight is one I remember being ok with.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am 29, male, 6'3" and started at 216 lbs. I am down to 201 lbs as of my last weigh-in and am looking forward to weighing-in at under 200 lbs for the first time in a long time in a few days.

My goal is set to 175 lbs on MFP allowing for 5 lbs of water weight to come back so my goal is really 180 lbs. I chose 180 lbs because I looked at healthy height weight charts and that seems to be in the middle of the healthy range for my height and frame.

Do you lift weights or anything?

I'm also 6'3, but if I got under 200 lb I would look emaciated! Forget about 175. My goal weight is 225, which what I was in college, when I was a lot more active and worked out 3 days/week. Now I'm going 6/week to try to get back into "fighting shape." I was a sexy beast! Har har!
  • StVal
    StVal Posts: 91
    Options
    I had an evaluation with my doctor during a check up and we decided together what a healthy weight would be for me considering how much I weigh now and my height. I'd be happy with it even if I'm within 10-20 lbs.
  • mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    I used the weight my doctor advised me to be then added a few pounds to make it feel more achievable, after all if I get there I can start again to get the last few pounds off
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Originally my goal was just to get to the 'normal" range of BMI. Now it's to get back to where I was most comfortable in my skin (just 25lbs to go!!!)
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'10 and his goal is 180. Once he's there he may want to go down to 170-- not sure... but my guess is that you should just start lifting --- not so much losing. And up the calories. I was just talking to my husband about this last night, too. We seem to be on a lower calorie regimen than most so I suggest we up our calorie goals. My current goal is 1320 but thinking of upping it to 1500- especially on workout days.

Good luck! Just be healthy... that's all. :)
  • canadiangirl014
    canadiangirl014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I chose my wedding weight - pre-two chilldren. I almost got back down there once, between children then the weight crept back up.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    I used an old height/weight chart to get a general idea...

But when I got near the high end of the range for my height I started looking at how I felt, if I felt I could go lower and not feel like I was dieting to maintain.
  • Marina809
    Options
    My goal weight is what I've been all my adult life until I put on the extra 29 pounds two to three years ago.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I just picked a number in the vicinity. I'm so far away from it now that I can't possibly know what feels right to me. I'll see when I get there. :smile:
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal weight based on the weight I thought looked best on me, which happened to be my weight in junior high. I've never been out of the healthy range, for my height, but I think I look and definitely feel healthier on the low end. :smile:
  • ddoeren84
    Options

Do you lift weights or anything?

I'm also 6'3, but if I got under 200 lb I would look emaciated! Forget about 175. My goal weight is 225, which what I was in college, when I was a lot more active and worked out 3 days/week. Now I'm going 6/week to try to get back into "fighting shape." I was a sexy beast! Har har!
    I don't lift weights, I'm long and lanky and I've never been very concerned with having a bunch of muscles. It doesn't help that one of arms is permanently dislocated at the elbow. I do some cardio, mostly just walking on the treadmill for like an hour a few days a week. I don't look emaciated by any means but I'm not fat either, I mainly just have a little bit of a gut to try to lose.