Borderline Diabetic

Hello! My name is LaSham and I'm at risk of becoming diabetic. My doctor is telling me to change my diet and exercise more but there is no support afterwards. I'm afraid of losing a battle that haven't started yet.
Can anyone give me some ideas on where or how to start a better daily routine?

Replies

• I was diabetic and I lost enough weight to not even be pre-diabetic. Diabetes is all about structure. If you do not get your health under control, you will be come diabetic. Here is what you need to do:
    -Meet with a nutrition or find a support group. Though I give you that advice, I did it myself with MyFitnesspal and Fitbit. Some people need face-to-face support.
    -Study what makes your body feels certain ways. Sugar makes me moody or tired. Sometimes, it makes my feet swell. Flour is almost equal to sugar. Other foods have bad and good interaction, also.
    -Exercise! Get on a routine. Your target should always be 30 minutes, but I do 45 minutes to an hour. Try walking. Nothing is better for diabetics than walking.

Start with that advice and there is much more. Start with baby steps.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Hello! My name is LaSham and I'm at risk of becoming diabetic. My doctor is telling me to change my diet and exercise more but there is no support afterwards. I'm afraid of losing a battle that haven't started yet.
    Can anyone give me some ideas on where or how to start a better daily routine?

Call your doctor back and ask him if there are any local diabetic 'classes'. When I was diagnosed my doc gave me the number of a local program (free) that I could sign up for and learn how to eat, test, and had TONS of information on how to get me started.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    My husband has been diabetic for years and years. About 10 weeks ago he started on MFP because I was doing it and was doing well. Simply by counting calories and eating a lot less and starting to walk regularly he has gotten his A1C down to normal levels, and was able to decrease his medication by 50%. He tries to eat protein and not that many carbs, but he's not fanatic about it. He's lost 20 pounds, but still has over 100 to go. I guess my point is that it did not take that long for him to notice profound differences. I believe that if he keeps this up he will get rid of the diabetes, and it's got to be a lot easier to prevent it than to get rid of it.

My guess is if you reduce your intake of calories, lose some weight, and get more exercise, you will notice big differences.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Hi there, I have a family history of diabetics. My father passed away about seven years ago due to complications of being diabetic most all his life. I have aunts, uncles and cousin younger than myself who are diabetic and on insulin. My niece is 20 yrs old, obese and insulin dependent already. I am trying to stay far away from this condition and is doing everything within my power to do so. I developed gestational diabetes when pregnant with my son. It usually goes away after the birth, but there is a greater chance of developing it later if you don't take care of yourself. That's when it hit me that I am not young and invincible, that I need to change my ways and change them now! I get the A1C1 test done annually and everything seem to be going well.

Good luck and feel free to add me for support.
  • I absolutely agree with the posts above. Lowering your carbs is definitely the way to go (in my opinion) although not all doctors agree with this diet/lifestyle. However it seems to work for the people who've tried it!
    Look online at Low Carb High Fat sites and decide for yourself if this is for you.
    I myself live LCHF, and this has enabled me to lose lots of weight and have more energy. Im at my target weight now and maintaining that. I have never been diagnosed as per-diabetic by my dad has diabetes so its something I'm being pro active about.
    Good luck!!
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    I have been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and I have improved a lot since my diagnosis. I eat better carbs, exercise and lower my food portions. This site has helped me a lot. I really hope you find the help you need. Exercise helps control glucose levels too, so start moving. 30 minutes a day is great.