What is your favorite brand of plant based milk alternative?

Options
I am going to start eating cereal again and I am overwhelmed by the options available today.

It used to be either soy or rice, and if you were feeling a little crunchy there was hemp as well.

Flaxseed milk? Macadamia? Are these any good?

Why is Oatly so trendy?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I like soy milk with the second choice being oat milk. Both are fairly neutral in flavor. Soy milk has the advantage of actually having ground up soy in it so has some protein.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Breeze Almond Cashew Blend. Milkadamia is awesome. I suggest for you to try some different ones, each has unique qualities.m Almond Coconut blens are tasty. You can make your own too- many people do. Coconut milk has its own unique taste.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I have not tried flax, hemp, or macadamia. I have tried cashew, coconut, oat, soy, almond,

My favorite is vanilla soy milk. I will also drink plain almond milk with my protein powders.

I recently tried a banana nut milk that was really good too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Vanilla soy milk from Costco.

Cheap, tastes good, subs well for real milk in recipes and does not require refrigeration until opened.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Alpro Cashew milk as its nice and creamy. I started off with their coconut milk as I love the flavour, but find it's too watery for cereal. I don't think it has a taste of cashews but some people do find that it does.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    For some uses I'm partial to homemade cashew milk (which contains cashews, so isn't the low cal stuff you can buy at the store, but I usually use it when I want to add some fat anyway, as well as creaminess).

As a plain milk replacement, as in oats, I'd normally go for plain soy milk (I can't stand any of them flavored or sweetened). The reason is that soy has some protein, like regular milk, and most of the other replacements do not. (Pea milk probably does, but it doesn't sound appealing to me so I haven't tried it.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oatly is popular because many people think it tastes very good. It's personally my favorite (with Silk cashew milk being second). The taste and mouthfeel are reminiscent of dairy milk and there's none of the aftertaste which can be an issue with other milks.

I have not had flaxseed milk, but I like macadamia nut milk.
  • Curvybaja55
    Curvybaja55 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1st choice Macadamia vanilla unsweetened very rich and creamy. 2nd choice almond the macadamia is twice the cost of the almond but worth it no after taste.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I like Silk brand soy milk. I'm not a fan of So Good (its mealy, and it settles to the bottom so you have to shake it every time). So Nice is good though. I tend to go for the sweetened varieties.

I dont care for most other milk subs. If I'm going to drink my calories, it better be worth it and have protein and calcium. So many others are barely enriched with anything and have no substance and then they taste weird.

I like cooking with coconut milk though. Especially rice. Use coconut milk instead of water, it tastes so good.

None of my opinions are based on comparisons to dairy since I'm mildly allergic so I dont drink it unless it's in my coffee.
  • Lydia6078
    Lydia6078 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I personally have landed with Oatly, their semi-slimmed equivalent, it’s what works best with the sorts of cereals and foods i eat. I haven’t managed to find a milk alternative to make mac and cheese with though. For now i’m still using cows milk just for that.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My husband likes “Oat Yeah!”, he feels it takes most like milk in his coffee. I’ll drink any kind but almond coconut milk is nice on cereal. Yum.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of them, but Oat milk for preference. Good in porridge and tea.

Also partly because it feels more sustainable. I'm in the UK, Oats grown in (usually) rainy northern Europe seem like they would have less impact than a nut milk made from produce grown in a dryer region across the ocean.
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm really loving Silk's vanilla Oat Milk -- Sprouts had a buy 1 get 1 special on the Califia brand's oat milk - it' also really great but has 50 more calories per cup (80 vs 130).
  • dsg2000
    dsg2000 Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I just discovered almond coconut milk, and I love it! I used to drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I love the added coconut taste, though, and it only adds five more calories :)

I got used to the unsweetened version, so when I taste sweetened nondairy milk it's like a bucketful of sugar dropped on my head.
  • shirazumdraws
    shirazumdraws Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just made peanut yogurt (from peanut milk and dates) and it tastes delicious. I am guessing it will be a good combo of cereal, peanut milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup.