Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hello all. I have been struggling with my weight loss journey and am contemplating fasting for two days a week. Has anyone had any success with restarting their weight loss with IF?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Fasting for two days without food? Or are you talk about the 5:2 eating style?
  • solomonjon245
    solomonjon245 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 style is what I was thinking of trying. I've heard that it will reset my metabolism. I have gone back up a little past 200 and I don't want the scale to continue in the wrong direction.
  • solomonjon245
    solomonjon245 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have cut out sugar and am defiantly giving it my best to stay within my calories. So hoping to try it out for a bit at least to see if I get better results then my previous attempts.
  • carpydave47
    carpydave47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how long your sugar spikes upward when you first start to fast? I have been fasting for the first time this week. Alternate day fasting. Sugar levels are pretty high. Thanks, Dave~
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    16:8 is an option or the warrior diet one massive meal a day idea are all also options as IF regulations but its just a protocol to help you lose weight and control calorie intake. According to Google the blood sugar spikes are normalish.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I fast almost every single day and when I go weeks without fasting I generally gain weight, consider fasted cardio too but be very hydrated before and during the cardio and I think jump rope is the most affective Cardio alongside high pace running
  • katiefiddle
    katiefiddle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the 8 hour diet and actually gained because I was so hungry. Another nurse at works swears by IF, but she is so horrid to the rest of us, we can't wait until she leaves for a month so we can relax in the med room. Good nurse, but we get very tired of having nurtion plans *kitten* at us. My best method is just trying to keep carbs to a normal amount, not keto, but lower than I used to eat.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @katiefiddle Fasting all day while trying to work a physically demanding, hard labor job will make you meaner than a skunk and the breath. :p OMAD, 5:2, 48-72 hour fasting trends are going by the way of the dodo. Just give me one more radical diet and I promise not to throw it all away. Think Oil Boom and Bust here.

OMAD. Waiting until evening for a big supper lollapalooza meal right before you go to bed. You can do your own research.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/not-so-fast-pros-and-cons-of-the-newest-diet-trend

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680567/

https://www.ese-hormones.org/news/rss-feed-world-news/intermittent-fasting-may-increase-diabetes-risk/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321864
  • Mesnowprincess
    Mesnowprincess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I do the 16:8 and it works for me. I have also lost weight with three meals a day and two snacks. I really depends on good calories in and moving more. I just found for me eating only eight hours keeps me from munching after dinner and choosing the wrong things first thing in the morning. I use a little note book to keep track, plan my day and forget it. I also have treats that I include with my eating no cheating.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    igutt wrote: »
    I fast almost every single day and when I go weeks without fasting I generally gain weight, consider fasted cardio too but be very hydrated before and during the cardio and I think jump rope is the most affective Cardio alongside high pace running

When you go weeks without fasting, are you eating more food than on fasting days?
  • flmnbently
    flmnbently Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 but mostly to help with my Crohn's and EPI. It helps with the symptoms a lot. But the weight loss comes from counting!
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hello all. I have been struggling with my weight loss journey and am contemplating fasting for two days a week. Has anyone had any success with restarting their weight loss with IF?

I've done OK with fasting 16 hours a day, 8pm to midday. Basically it makes it easier to maintain a calorie deficit.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My husband and me doing 19:5 every day, but 42 hrs every week hang on fasting . This last from dinner on Sunday at 6pm thru Tuesday day lunch at 1pm. No problem with appetite or going crazy on the first feeding day. We eat on Tuesday exactly same calories what on Wednesday or Friday. Actually, no feeling week or drained on fasting days too. We have been doing it for long time, several years. Our bodies, got used to any fasting periods 24, 36, 42, 72 even 90 hrs. This is called metabolic flexibility, when body can switch from glucose energy sources to fat. We loose sometime up to 8 lb of weight in 90hrs fast, but it slowly comes back, when we start eating. In order to lose weight for long time you still have to decrease amount of calories in the feeding days. No magic happens, calories still matter
  • SuperJennGirl
    SuperJennGirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing IF (16:8/TMAD includes a meal salad) and calorie counting.