Sodium in water

Is the sodium in water to be counted in daily intake or is it already accounted for?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I wouldn't count it. How do you know how much sodium is in your water?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you are in a situation where the 12 mg of sodium per 8 ounces of water is medically meaningful for you, then you should log that. It is not accounted for.
  • rondumeah
    rondumeah Posts: 2 Member
    It is on the bottle label. Ok so then I won’t log it. I just assume that would be counted. I keep going over my intake everyday.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    Different sources of water have different amounts of sodium, so MFP can't add sodium automatically just based on your general water consumption.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    rondumeah wrote: »
    It is on the bottle label. Ok so then I won’t log it. I just assume that would be counted. I keep going over my intake everyday.

Why not create a food database entry for the brand you typically drink (if there isn't one already) and include the sodium if it's of interest to you?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I would think the amount is negligible regardless but consider switching your water source.

If it were me, I'd look at my other major sources of sodium (like processed foods, adding table salt to homemade recipes) before doing anything with logging water.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    It depends. If your water has a large amount of sodium in it, you definitely should keep track of it as you keep track of sodium in general. I'm lucky that it's not an issue with our tap water but a friend who lives on a well where she must heavily treat and soften her water avoids drinking it, in part because of its high sodium content.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    If you are in a situation where the 12 mg of sodium per 8 ounces of water is medically meaningful for you, then you should log that. It is not accounted for.

Even the 35 mg of sodium that is in my softened water is not worth counting.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Whenever micro amounts of sodium are being discussed I feel the need to point out that unless specifically proscribed by a doctor who is treating you, reducing sodium below 2500 mg is a bad idea. Sodium is your electrolyte. You know, the thing that allows you to stay, uh, living. So your organs do not fail. So, when persons are discussing 30mg doses as logable, it makes me concerned for them.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    ... reducing sodium below 2500 mg is a bad idea. Sodium is your electrolyte. You know, the thing that allows you to stay, uh, living. So your organs do not fail. So, when persons are discussing 30mg doses as logable, it makes me concerned for them.

How much sodium is appropriate for different populations is debatable. The CDC recommends Americans consume fewer than 2300 mg/day. The American Heart Association recommends aiming for 1500 mg/day and says our daily minimum need for health is only about 500 mg/day. If you sweat a lot you probably need more sodium. If you have heart problems or high blood pressure, you should limit your sodium intake.

The average American consumes 3400 mg/day of sodium That's clearly too much. On the other hand, we went "very low salt" as we are obese, pushing 70 and both have high blood pressure. Hubby had a low sodium level in a blood test and the doctor told him to ease up. So we went from unsalted to lightly salted on nuts and chips and salted peanut butter and we're fine, now.

As to salt substitutes, be careful. Some are potassium-based and can cause your potassium to get out of whack particularly if you have kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease or liver disease. Stick to herb and spice based substitutes like Mrs. Dash.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    Well that was sort of Wilsons point.

30mg in an average daily water intake is negligible. Not worth logging. Even for people on salt reduced diets.