Ankle pain for new runner

Options
So I just started running 3 weeks ago. I've been consistent in doing it every other day. I take all necessary precautions regarding stretching, warm up, post stretch etc. I have good shoes.

So far I've felt great aside from expected soreness. Suddenly though, it hurts to walk or run without my running shoes lol

I was playing with my kids in the yard and couldn't chase them. Felt like I was stepping on pins shooting pain thru my ankles. Do I need to stretch more, did I hurt them, or is this normal and it will heal?

Again, I'm new to running and all these new aches and pains are fun to work through 🤓

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are running too much or maybe you need new/different running shoes. The first step is always to apply the RICE method: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. If the pain persists you may need to see your doctor.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    hollyarule wrote: »
    Do I need to stretch more, did I hurt them, or is this normal and it will heal?

Joint pain is never normal. Usually these things are from doing too much too soon, or from wearing shoes that were self-chosen, as opposed to chosen by the staff at a good running store, after watching you run. If those don't apply to you, ask a doctor. In the mean time, i'd switch to a different activity. When you start running again, don't do static stretching (holding the stretch) beforehand.

Btw, the doctor who coined the term "RICE" now doesn't recommend it: https://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ice-delays-recovery.html
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Stretching is usually a bad idea before you run (and not really proven to help much after).

"Good shoes' means the correct shoe for you. Or, more importantly, not wearing incorrect shoes. Most people can run in neutral shoes without issues. But only those who really need them can run in corrective shoes (sometimes called supported or stability). And newer research suggests even they may not really 'need' them.

I suggest taking a break until you no longer have the pain. Then, instead of running every other day, get a beginners plan and stick with it. Something like Couch to 5K would work.

Running should not hurt. It may be uncomfortable if you push too hard but you should never be in pain afterwards.

Good luck.

ETA - "Good Shoes" don't have to cost a fortune but they shouldn't be the cheap garbage you find at department stores and some sporting goods stores. Stick with the shoes made specifically for running that you can find at specialty running stores or online at places like runningwarehouse.com ..
  • rocky2922
    rocky2922 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just guessing but it sounds like a little tendonitis. Your Achilles tendon can get inflamed pretty easy if you push to hard. It feels like needles or a really painful pulling. Rest it and take it easy and slowly come back to running and all should be fine.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Ice. If it still hurts, you might have injured yourself.
  • hollyarule
    hollyarule Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You guys are great! Thanks for the help!

I'm quite sure I over did it as a beginner because I was doing other exercises on my off days. I'm donating blood this week, so I'm just gonna take a vacation from strenuous activity for a while.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I don’t know your medical history or if this applies to you, but here’s my experience. I have sprained my ankles badly multiple times, and as a result the ligaments in my ankles are so torn, frayed and faded that a specialized physical therapist couldn’t find them (apparently he was supposed to be able to feel them over the skin, but I’m not professional enough to know) and my ankles stretch, twist and turn in a way that it’s pretty much impossible to sprain them anymore.

The point of this is to give context, because as a result the muscles around my ankles have to pick up the slack and work harder to provide for support since there’s practically no ligament. This means that whenever I take up running or other high-impact workouts after a longer break, I have to take it easy and condition my ankle muscles as well, otherwise they start hurting like hell. I know this sounds odd, but in addition to general fitness levels, Couch 2 5K has a good rhythm for conditioning ankle muscles as well. Even if your ligaments are fine, it could still be that your muscles need some conditioning.
  • AngelaMyLife777
    AngelaMyLife777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pain is different the tired. If you have been properly fitted for running shoes (as thes run larger then shoes in general) it could be that you have ramped up too quickly and not giving enough time to recover.
  • sophieconnelly94
    sophieconnelly94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As above, I think this sounds a little like tendonitis... Perhaps not, but I've previously had it bad enough to go into a walk in centre and had to be prescribed a much stronger version of Ibuprofen, which is an anti inflammatory... I'd strongly recommend taking Ibuprofen regularly (although obviously recommended amounts) if the pain continues as it should help any inflammation go down... Rest up/take it a little easier until it eases up! :)