Green tea

Options
I have seen on many different sites that green tea and citrus combined is good for helping weightloss. Looking to hear some thoughts on this. Curious how it works with helping weightloss. I know its full of antioxidants. I'm guessing maybe this helps flush the body??

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It doesn't.
  • holtcheree
    holtcheree Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    jxx6794qokjf.jpg
    ggaishlkb89u.jpg

This is very helpful. I do have a question though. As for the different diets. How long do you try one for to see if its best for you or if you need to move on and try something different? I know everyone's body is different from the next.
  • holtcheree
    holtcheree Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd pick a way of eating that you can continue for the rest of your life. I know I can't do low carb or keto for the rest of my life. It makes me a miserable *kitten*. I prefer to just count calories, and eat the kinds of foods I prefer.

I think I agree with that. It is very hard to take yourself away from certain foods. With portion control and counting calories.i do better then if I was to just take away a certain food altogether. It seems like I always go back to the same habits and quit and give up when I do that. Thanks for the advice.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. Green tea tastes good, and if you like it drink it. But, don't rely on it for weight loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    I drink cold green tea (matcha) with a citrus wedge every day. No sign that it has any effect on my weight loss whatsoever, but it tastes nice. Plus, as you said, antioxidants are a good thing, mostly. :) (Not magical, though.)

I used this "diet", personally, to lose from obese to a healthy weight in less than a year, and stay at a healthy weight for 4+ years since:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

It's not a meal plan, though; and it doesn't have any magic to it . . . other than that if you set a calorie goal, and follow it that eating plan at those calories, it will work.

Considering re-naming it the "no silly rules" diet, but I'm suspicious of named diets. :lol:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you like and build healthy habits along the way. I love crisps (paprika!). I could eat them every day, but I learned quickly that if I have a pack of 120gr (normal weight here) then I won't have calories left for dinner and desert. Thus I only have them every now and then. It took a while to learn this though.

My diet btw is a modified Mediterranean I guess. Lots of veggies, grains, use olive oil for cooking, seeds, limited meat. Modified because fish for every day is too expensive, and I prefer a good glass of artisan gin over red wine :D Honestly, this is just the way I eat naturally.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The only way that green tea with citrus wedge could help in weight loss is if you drink it instead of a high calorie drink or snack.
    Ie you reduce your calorie intake.
    Nothing magical, same could be said for any low calorie drink or food, eg water, cucumber juice, carrot sticks etc etc.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    holtcheree wrote: »
    jxx6794qokjf.jpg
    ggaishlkb89u.jpg

This is very helpful. I do have a question though. As for the different diets. How long do you try one for to see if its best for you or if you need to move on and try something different? I know everyone's body is different from the next.

First you need to determine the criteria for "best". Since any weight loss program that has a calorie deficit will eventually produce bathroom scale results going by results only would not be wise.

The most important factor is whether or not it makes you miserable. If you are not enjoying the way you are eating or it is leaving you consistently hungry I wouldn't give it more than 3 days, if that.

After that the question is can you eat this way for the next 5 years and be happy doing it? That is not to say that weight loss will take that long but you should pick something that at least gets you through weight loss and the first few years of maintenance. It may or may not survive that long without modification but what you are trying to determine is sustainability. If you pick something that makes you want to "get it over with so you can return to normal" you are in trouble.

How important is flexibility to you? Do you want a plan that flexes around holidays and allows you to order from most restaurant menus? If so, you may want to avoid plans with rigid rules and food restrictions? Some people want less flexibility because more options equals more mental energy.

If you want to try a combo platter of methods like low carb and intermittent fasting I suggest trying the food oriented one first for a couple of weeks then add the increased fasting element. You don't want to muddy the water.
  • Brandonswife19
    Brandonswife19 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I didn't have the green tea with citrus but I bought some green tea extract capsules from walmart and took them as directed along with lots of water and I exercised/did cardio 4 times a week and lost 30 lbs in 6 months. Different strokes for different folks. 🤷‍♀️
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I didn't have the green tea with citrus but I bought some green tea extract capsules from walmart and took them as directed along with lots of water and I exercised/did cardio 4 times a week and lost 30 lbs in 6 months. Different strokes for different folks. 🤷‍♀️

No - variations on same strokes for everyone.

The stroke being a calorie deficit.

You lost weight by either eating less calories and / or doing more exercise. Calorie deficit - that's what it is.

That would of happened with or without the green tea capsules.

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Green tea has lots of benefits but weightloss is simply a calorie deficit. Green tea can be part of that but if you just drink green tea but don’t change your eating habits it won’t make a difference to weight.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would have gone for the tea, myself. Not because it will help with weight loss. It won't. But because I like to drink tea, and it keeps my mouth occupied at times it would otherwise be wanting, say, cake. So that actually helps, I guess. Capsules sound unsatisfying, expensive and pointless.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Back in the days I thought green tea would magically make you lose weight. So I bought a clay teapot, green tea from the market and a candle thingy. I did lose weight. In my wallet. I did develop a liking for green tea though, and now I always have a big glass right next to me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

So you used diet and exercise to create a deficit and also ate some powdered tea.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    Now I'm wondering if the green tea magic means we'll need to stop the green tea in order to maintain weight, once we reach goal? :grimace:

Oh, wait: I've been doing the green tea + citrus for 4 years now, in maintenance. Must be a special snowflake! ❄️😊❄️