Garmin Connect - where to see recovery time?

jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
After I finish a workout with my 935 (running or biking, mostly), it tells me how much time I will need to recover from that workout.

I don't wear my garmin much UNLESS I'm working out... is there a way to see that recovery time via Garmin Connect?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I always wondered about even the Heart Rate Recovery figure - never saw that shown in a GC workout.

But - when I import the synced file into SportTracks it is an extra figure reported - so it's in the FIT data file.
    I wonder if the RT is also.

My 310XT doesn't do that figure though, so can't test.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I don’t think it’s there. You get a recovery time without even syncing so I think it might be just in the watch. But, I can see mine in the training status widget on the watch (at any time-not just after a workout) so maybe it’s there for yours too? I realize that would require you to have the watch-which sort of defeats the purpose but at least it’s not a one and done deal?

And heart rate recovery shows up for me if I stop a workout and leave it like that for a few minutes (eg-not hitting the stop/save button the second/third/fourth time to complete).
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    I only see it on my watch.
  • heybales
    @jjpptt2 - did you ever find the figure in the training status like Duck_Puddle referenced?

Curious if it's a figure that only shows most recent info, or if there is one tied to each workout.
  • Duck_Puddle
    heybales wrote: »
    @jjpptt2 - did you ever find the figure in the training status like Duck_Puddle referenced?

Curious if it's a figure that only shows most recent info, or if there is one tied to each workout.

I wish I paid better attention on days when I do multiple activities or when I did a workout while I still had remaining recovery hours (To see what value is displayed in the training status).

Mine currently says 0 hours recovery needed (yesterday was a rest day-and none of my Sunday workouts racked up big recovery hours so even if the hours were added together, it would still show 0 by now).

I’ll try to remember to check it tomorrow (when I should be going into the workout with some remaining recovery time and may have multiple activities).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I haven't seen recovery time in Garmin Connect but in the Android version of it there is a "Training Status" section that will show "unproductive" if their algorithms calculate that you're not recovering adequately (which can also be from lack of sleep etc).
  • Duck_Puddle
    I haven't seen recovery time in Garmin Connect but in the Android version of it there is a "Training Status" section that will show "unproductive" if their algorithms calculate that you're not recovering adequately (which can also be from lack of sleep etc).

Training status isn’t that sophisticated. It takes your training load (below, within or above your normal), then takes your most recent vo2max estimate and compares it to the last. If your training is in range and your vo2max estimate is lower than last time (by .000002 due to heat or a slow run or whatever) your training status is unproductive.

Mine functions as a weather report. If my training load is normal-I flip between productive (if cooler) & unproductive (if hot). Occasionally I’ll maintain (if the weather is stable). If my load is low, I flip between peaking (if cool) and detaining (if hot). Occasionally I’ll be in recovery (if the weather is stable).

There are lots of assorted tools measuring recovery (stress/body battery/Sleepetc) but those don’t affect the training status. It’s just not that fancy.

https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-feature/training-status/
  • Duck_Puddle
    heybales wrote: »

Last night before I started my workouts, my recovery time in the widget said 5 hours.

I ran for an hour (evidently VERY high intensity). When I stopped the activity, it said 62 hours recovery (“it” being the screens you can page through when you finish an activity that show you assorted info about that activity).

The recovery time in the training status widget also showed 62 hours.

I then did a weightlifting workout (moderate-nothing fancy-plain regular reps/sets). Recovery time when I stopped that activity was showing as 72 hours (both in the activity and in the training status widget).

My last marathon earned me an 87 hour recovery time. Weightlifting usually says about 10. Idk wtf Garmin thinks was happening on that run to get 62 hours of recovery (similar runs are usually in the 20-30 hour range). My guess is that the 72 hours is a sum of the recovery hours for the run and weightlifting workouts combined.

Anyway-my best guess is that the watch holds one single “recovery” time and that’s the value shown anywhere a recovery time is shown.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I didn't record the numbers but it was amusing to me how they are all over the place these past couple weekends where I ran the Goggins Challenge (4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours) and the GAP Relay where I ran 40 miles over a 20 hour period (6 runs of varying length). Sometimes I'd get 10 hours recovery, other times 5, and sometimes 24 (and everything in between). I guess I somehow managed to recover 10 hours in 4. :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Anyway-my best guess is that the watch holds one single “recovery” time and that’s the value shown anywhere a recovery time is shown.

Yep.

The training load thing seems to do a better job, at least for me. Regardless of what my predicted recovery times look like, if I feel good and/or the cumulative fatigue vs my capacity widget/app page I'll go have fun. Stepping far outside that box hurts enough of the time that I pay attention to it.
  • Duck_Puddle

Yep.

The training load thing seems to do a better job, at least for me. Regardless of what my predicted recovery times look like, if I feel good and/or the cumulative fatigue vs my capacity widget/app page I'll go have fun. Stepping far outside that box hurts enough of the time that I pay attention to it.

I use Garmin as one of my mechanisms to monitor training load. And even that’s semi-questionable.

I have used a combo of several other markers as much better indicators of recovery status for several years. Although I guess some are the same markers-just Presented in a much more meaningful way elsewhere (HRV for example).

I don’t anticipate using any of the Garmin tools for training recovery/readiness yet as they have not yet been reliable for me or the information presented just isn’t actionable. I find the all day stress (and therefore body battery to some degree) to be reasonably accurate.

But that’s not really helping me decide if the HIIT I did yesterday really did tax me the right way or if I’m recovered enough to do ____ . I don’t think that’s the point of those metrics-but those are the ones that are reasonably on point for me from Garmin. They just don’t give me the info I need.

I was trying to answer @heybales question whether the recovery value was a single value or per activity (and how that might display with multiple overlapping recoveries happening). I don’t typically personally use the recovery time given for much of anything-I’m certainly not taking 62 hours to recover from a one hour easy run. I still have no idea how it came up with that number. What exactly does it think I did?

Oh well. At least it’s a pretty watch. I’m kidding (except that it is pretty).
  • klminor52
    klminor52 Posts: 1 Member
    Recovery Time needs to be accessible inside CONNECT. It's ridiculous that if you don't catch in on your watch after an exercise, that it's lost forever to the bit-bucket. Please fix!!!!!
  • heybales
    klminor52 wrote: »
    Recovery Time needs to be accessible inside CONNECT. It's ridiculous that if you don't catch in on your watch after an exercise, that it's lost forever to the bit-bucket. Please fix!!!!!

Just so you are aware - you are on MFP's site/app forums for this topic and your response.

MFP has nothing to do with Garmin device functionality.

In other words, you are barking up the wrong tree. - Head on over to Garmin support forums.
  • bcalvanese
    bcalvanese Posts: 32 Member
    edited January 2021
    You can see it anytime on the watch by drilling into the training status widget. It is not in the GC mobile app or the website though.
  • michaelpodonnell
    michaelpodonnell Posts: 3 Member
    Hello everyone. I have a facebook group for all you runners out there. I've attached the link if you wish to join. It's a great community of like minded runners motivating one another. Here is the link if you wish to join

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pickupyourpace/?ref=share
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Lots of interesting info here. I look at my recovery time on my Garmin more as a joke, especially this time of year when I only use it outside which is rare and it doesn't take into account info from my Garmin VivoSport. Yesterday after my 90 minute ride it told me my recovery time was 72 hours but it doesn't know my my weights and trainer days.

I more rely on TrainingPeaks wear I load all my workouts and it's Fitness, Form, Fatigue scores. Which Strava also has a very similar function and I find both their numbers to be pretty similar. Just a thought if you use either of those applications as well.