Any oly lifters with home gyms?

Options
I’m trying to plan a covered area outside for my platform; could be a shed-type structure / maybe even a wooden garage. Just trying to find out what height others have, obviously with oly lifting you need a high clearance for the lifts (bar and plates overhead). It’s not something which is that easy to find online!

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Have you checked our r/homegym on reddit?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I’ll have a look, thanks. Most home specs online seem to be for regular cardio / strength training and not oly stuff though! 🤷‍♂️
  • claireychn074
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Have you checked our r/homegym on reddit?

Aaaand now I’ve just got gym envy 😭
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I’ll have a look, thanks. Most home specs online seem to be for regular cardio / strength training and not oly stuff though! 🤷‍♂️

For sure. r/homegym might skew a little more powerlifting than oly but there certainly is some crossover and the FAQ is well-organized by equipment type.

You can see my basement set up in my profile pic. I can lift overhead so long as I get the alignment right for the plates to go between the floor joists. Same with head clearance on pull-ups.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Depends on your setup but you will need at least a 7 and preferably an 8 ft ceiling.

My rack alone is 7 ft tall but added a few inches for a mat and platform leaving less than 12 inches between the top of it under my 8ft garage ceiling.
  • jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I was surprised I could do overhead in my basement. I have to be a little careful with spacing. I have 7’8” to floor joists.
  • claireychn074
    Options
    Yeah I think I need 3m high to accommodate the platform, and that means I’ll need to get planning permission (in the UK anything over 2.4m needs permission). Just struggling to get my training in owing to weather 😟