Brown rice question

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    My own method is to cook it in a casserole dish that is both oven- and range-safe (I use Corningware, but I'm sure there are other brands -- or you could use a Dutch oven or a cast-iron skillet with a tight-fitting lid -- the point is, don't use a thin, light sauce pan). Bring the water to a boil on the range, stir in the rice, and turn the heat down as low as you can. Leave it for 30 to 45 minutes (until the water is absorbed -- so it's nice if your pot/pan/skillet has a glass lid -- you don't want to be lifting the lid to check).

But if you really want a fool-proof method, cook it with lots of excess water, like you would pasta, start testing for doneness after about 25 or 30 minutes, and when it's done or nearly done, drain it and return it to the hot pan, off the heat, and let sit, covered, for about five minutes.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I only cook rice -- both brown and white -- in the oven. It's fool proof! Start with Alton Brown's oven brown rice. It never scorches or boils dry. It doesn't boil over. All you do is throw it in the oven and ignore it until it's done. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe-1944197

I like baked rice best, too. I didn’t know there was a recipe. Lol.
    But mine is mushy, not fluffy grains. Do I cook it too long? I like it mushy, but it would be nice to know how to make it fluffy.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I love my rice cooker. Was not expensive, and rice turns out well every time. Mine is a small one though and says not suitable for brown rice.

Have used various instant microwave rice brands - usually when I just want a quick single serve just for myself.
    They all taste a bit 'cardboardy' to me - not as nice as cooking rice from scratch but still quite ok
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know others have explained trying to cook it.But not sure if it was answered..... If you want to use minute rice/ boil in bag, or any other parcooked rice it is just as nutritional. health wise there is no difference, just cost
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Just cost and taste.

If you like the taste - no problem.

I eat them sometimes, IMO the taste is ok but not the same as cooking rice from scratch.

But agreed - nutrition much the same.