On a Mission to Continuing to Restore Health - Diabetic Among Other Things

Options
Halleeon
Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
I've been eating healthy and doing traditional keto for the past 2.5 years as it helps to control my diabetes. I've recently switched to sometimes ovo-vegetarian or mostly vegan keto and have gone down 2 dresses in that process so far. I've also put my diabetes in remission and have substantially helped my PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome.)

My current A1C is 5.5 (it was originally 14) and I am on the mission to get it down to 4.5 and lose the remaining 116ish pounds to get down to a more healthy (for me) weight. That said, I am not a body shamer and I believe in loving yourself at every size and that if weight-loss is a goal, it is the first step in being able to do it and keep it off for good. That is just my approach and it works very well for me!

These past 3 weeks I've been off my usual path (partially due to my birthday and also due to having fibromyalgia which makes me fatigued and in chronic pain) and so, I have fallen susceptible to Taco Bell and even ordered 2 cheesecakes that I split with my husband. I don't need these things because I have legit allergies and conditions that make slip-ups like this not at all in my best interest. I've gained 8 pounds back and several inches in this short time. Thankfully, I am still fitting into my new, smaller sized clothing and my diabetes is still lower than it was 3 months ago, so those are some silver linings.

I feel okay with this because getting healthy is not a linear experience and I have since then refilled my refrigerator with healthy food again. To help combat the problem I'm going to make "chalupas" at home, using ingredients that my body likes, instead of being a slave to Taco Bell. I can do this! I'm just writing here for self-expression and self-accountability.

I'm very serious about becoming healthier as I have several conditions that I have mentioned and a few I have not. Eating nutritious foods that do not cause my body inflammation and also, as a natural side effect, cause me to lose weight are goals.

I would love to have friends who are on a similar path, that can relate, or find this to be inspirational. I'd like to interact a bit more on my feed with others to encourage and be encouraged.

Please add me if this is something you enjoyed reading or want to be MFP friends.

Best to everyone on their journey.

Replies

• danialshamim
    danialshamim Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and hypertension at the age of 25 weighing 320 lbs. My hba1c was 6.5, i am also diagnosed with fibromyalgia and fight daily battles with weakness, brain fog and body aches particularly Costochondritis. I am down to 260 lbs and hba1c is now 5.3 :smiley:
    i know i have a long way to go and want to keep following my low carb diet until i am off my hypertension medication and at my ideal weight. Always here for moral support :smile:
  • Catlessi41
    Catlessi41 Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am diabetic and have fibro as well. Would love to add you!
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the adds!
  • PotatoHead_
    PotatoHead_ Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    @Halleeon I did find your prose inspirational. I have one mataching medical complication to you, plus some different, and frankly they are making me feel 30 years older than I am. I didn't 'feel' the effect of being overweight on my health 5 years ago, but now I do. I had a range of medical tests this year (pre Lockdown) to look for reasons for my feeling rubbish, and nothing actually flagged (eg. no diabetes); we never got to the bottom of it, and I've concluded myself that it might just be weight gain taking a toll on me.

I'm on day 5 now of being back on MFP and trying to lose weight after a 5 year gap, and a 5 year slow creeping weight increase.

I'm going to add you if that's ok?!