Left over cals

Options
Happy Saturday! Please can you tell me with having 4K net cals here does that mean I can have a little bit extra this week if required? I usually eat around 1/4 - 1/2 my exercise cals per day foyjaxldpygj.jpeg

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm confused are you eating under 1200 every day?
  • toadflaxbex
    toadflaxbex Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No I have set my goal to 1200, but exercise around 1000-1200 so usually eat around 1500-1700 depending on hunger pangs!
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    No I have set my goal to 1200, but exercise around 1000-1200 so usually eat around 1500-1700 depending on hunger pangs!

Thank you for explaining. That graph is confusing. If you change from net to total does it give you the same figures?
  • toadflaxbex
    Options
    No here is the total, doesn’t show all my exercise cals I can’t find a weekly summary of those.sjolobnolptt.jpeg
  • toadflaxbex
    Options
    Also here is the one from my Fitbit tm4gzcglb12e.jpeg
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can eat another 4300 calories and be at your goal for the week. That’s what I do-I use that same graph to keep myself to my weekly goal (although I have one day that is typically far over maintenance).

If you find you are losing faster than expected over 6-8 weeks, you will probably want to eat a bit more of your exercise calories. Your net calories are very low many days-but if you’re not losing faster than expected, it could be that your tracker is estimating a bit high.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    Here are how my graphs typically look. I lose as expected. First is net, second is total.

ev2hsrep2kho.jpeg
    zfxaymfhlys3.jpeg
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    OK, you have a Fitbit and they’re synced, great.

I have the same setup and here’s what I do: my goal is to lose 1-1.5lbs per week, so I know that translates to 500-750kcal deficit per day. I log my food in MFP and it syncs over to Fitbit. With the graph you just screenshotted and the info just under it, its easy to make sure that’s my actual deficit. Currently it says 2162 cals in - 2967 cals out. I can ignore the calorie adjustment Fitbit sends to MFP as well as the ”552 cals left for the day” message Fitbit attaches to the calorie info, because I can just do a quick math in my head about 2960-2160=800, and now I know I still have room for an evening snack, especially as the day isn’t even over and I’ll continue burning at least 150 calories before midnight. Another alternative for the math is the Fitbit dashboard browser version, which has a view where the deficit is calculated.

Yes, this method requires doing some math and knowing your trend of how much you usually burn on different kinds of days so you can correctly estimate what your total burn for a given day is, but having these abilities I personally find this a simpler way of seeing what my true deficit is and how much I can eat, without fumbling with calorie adjustments and guesswork.

Now, to your question about calories and eating them: you didn’t mention your current weight or what your weight loss goal per week is. Since 1lb per week is a safe and reasonable pace for most people, I’ll base this advice on that: for 1lb loss per week, you should have a deficit of 500 calories per day. That means you should be eating 2500-3000 calories per day, assuming your Fitbit burn numbers match reality. I know for some people the burn numbers are way off, and the only way to see if they’re correct in your case is to log meticulously for 4-6 weeks and see what your actual weight loss is compared to what your deficits suggest. And even if they don’t match, the error could be in inaccurate logging instead of the Fitbit.

This ended up being a long answer, hopefully it makes some sense to you.

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Your figures still indicate that your net average (food intake less exercise) is 538 a day, which is way way way too low. No wonder you have over 4000 calories left for the week. I'd call that more than "a little bit extra". The1200 is what you should be eating, net. If you plan to eat 4000 calories today, great, but otherwise you are really restricting yourself, even if your fitbit is overestimating a bit, and that's potentially not healthy.

Similar to what @Duck_Puddle asks, how much weight do you have to lose, what loss rate did you select in the set-up, what rate are you actually losing at and how long have you been tracking for?
  • toadflaxbex
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I’m set up to lose 1kg a week as I have a lot to go. 163cm currently 115 I was 117kg 2 weeks ago (on Monday). First weigh in I lost 2kg. I was once 28stone and got down to 15 then had a baby so working hard to get back to there and beyond.

I put myself as sedentary so I could let Fitbit do the rest as some days I can’t get to exercise with two kids, homeschooling and working at home full time sat at a computer all day.

I didn’t eat all exercise cals as a) it takes a lot mentally to carry on eating knowing that’s what’s got me here

And b) some days I’m just not hungry enough plus I worry Fitbit over estimates so I’m cautious!

However today is wet and horrible and I just wanted a rest so only did 45mins on my bike and an hour walk so haven’t earned many cals so start to panic!

I weigh everything I eat and have always used MFP to track what I eat but only really last two weeks got the motivation to push myself!
  • Duck_Puddle
    edited June 2020
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    You never once hit net 1200 calories this week, which is the rock-bottom minimum for healthful dieting.

Four of the seven days, your net calories were under 400.

Your average net calories for the week is 538. That is approximately half of what Axis prisoners of war were fed during WWII, as they were gradually starved to death.

I feel the other responses here are, with all due respect, a bit lost in the weeds. You are eating a dangerously low level of calories. It is hard to envision what will happen to someone whose body is getting a net of 400 calories a day when science says you need net 1200 to keep your systems and organs functioning properly, but it isn't going to be pretty, safe, or fun.

1200 plus your exercise calories is the minimum, unless a doctor has told you otherwise. I urge you to adhere to that before something bad happens.

As straight numbers, indeed.

But looking at the Fitbit graph with calories out being 3-4k? That leads me to believe that the Fitbit estimates are quite high (and resulting calorie adjustments are also high) and that OP should be going by actual loss rate (over time).

OP is eating an average of 1600 cal/day. If (and HUGE if) TDEE is 3-4K, that’s an issue. My guess is actual TDEE is more like 2600-2800.

I’m not advocating an actual net 500. That’s absurd. My supposition is that actual net is probably pretty close to 1200 (OP has a fair amount to lose and can safely sustain a larger deficit - 2.5lbs/week would be a max).
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    You never once hit net 1200 calories this week, which is the rock-bottom minimum for healthful dieting.

Four of the seven days, your net calories were under 400.

Your average net calories for the week is 538. That is approximately half of what Axis prisoners of war were fed during WWII, as they were gradually starved to death.

I feel the other responses here are, with all due respect, a bit lost in the weeds. You are eating a dangerously low level of calories. It is hard to envision what will happen to someone whose body is getting a net of 400 calories a day when science says you need net 1200 to keep your systems and organs functioning properly, but it isn't going to be pretty, safe, or fun.

1200 plus your exercise calories is the minimum, unless a doctor has told you otherwise. I urge you to adhere to that before something bad happens.

As straight numbers, indeed.

But looking at the Fitbit graph with calories out being 3-4k? That leads me to believe that the Fitbit estimates are quite high (and resulting calorie adjustments are also high) and that OP should be going by actual loss rate (over time).

OP is eating an average of 1600 cal/day. If (and HUGE if) TDEE is 3-4K, that’s an issue. My guess is actual TDEE is more like 2600-2800.

I’m not advocating an actual net 500. That’s absurd. My supposition is that actual net is probably pretty close to 1200 (OP has a fair amount to lose and can safely sustain a larger deficit - 2.5lbs/week would be a max).

I agree that if the OP is losing weight at a healthy pace of 1-2 lbs/week then there's less need for alarm, as that would indicate that the problem lies in the data, not the actual eating and exercise. In the absence of knowing the loss rate per week, though, it's worrisome. You are right that if her TDEE is 2600, eating 1600, and losing a couple pound per week then she's just on an aggressive diet, not an unsafe one. That's a big "if". Exercise estimates are usually high, but that high?
  • Duck_Puddle
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Fitbit can be very high. Particularly if worn on a dominant hand or if someone typically makes a lot of hand gestures.

I often burn 300 calories on my wrist based Fitbit when I’m making a presentation during a conference call (I work at home all the time). Or cooking a meal. Or folding laundry. Or pretty much anything where my arm moves.

We obviously don’t know all those details but 3-4K is EXCEPTIONALLY high for a 5’4” person (as a 5’4” person who also started at nearly the same Weight as OP and did similar amounts of exercise).

I’m not at all advocating a crazy low net-but this really screams Fitbit overestimate to me (meaning actual numbers are fine; but data is off-like people who are “eating less than 1200 but not losing weight but also not weighing food and having a cheat meal they they sort of log” - nobody should be eating less than 1200 but it’s unlikely that’s what’s actually happening).

I have another (non-wrist based) Fitbit that is pretty much dead on for me. I also have other trackers other brands that have similar variations in calorie estimates. I’m not trashing Fitbit - just that (like anything) they can be off.
  • toadflaxbex
    Options
    Thanks all. Yes I’ve added way more fibre in and changed things up a bit. I was on slimfast before and just started to plateau after loosing a fair amount so wanted to go back to calories in vs out. I have upped exercise primarily to kick start things. Not doing school runs on an average day at home I’d do less than 3k steps however when the kids are at school I can easily his 15K so that change since March had me put on, so I wanted to go all in and really get motivated.

I didn’t want to fully trust fitbit as I also don’t believe I’m burning 3-4K but I know I’m kicking some out so have eaten a little more, but maybe not enough. I did have a sneaky look on the scales this morning and it was showing a little over a KG loss (weigh day Monday). So if that stays around that I’ve lost a little over 3kg in 2 weeks. The first week I expected a little more!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    A weight loss rate of 1kg a week, at the moment, is appropriate. If you've lost 3kg in 2 weeks, that's definitely too aggressive and you need to eat more of your exercise calories.

Also, as you lose weight, you should update your stats in MFP, recalculate your calorie allowance and also decrease that rate to 0.75kg a week then 0.5 kg a week etc. But that's not for now, just bear it in mind.

You could partially test the accuracy of your fitbit. Don't do any intentional exercise other than a walk tomorrow / on a selected day. Track how far you walk and for how long (to calculate your speed). In MFP, select Exercise, select Walk at x mph and enter the time that you walked for. Compare the number of calories earned to what your fitbit says. Assuming you've entered your stats in to MFP correctly, I find it typically calculates exercise calories for walking fairly accurately.