BMI below 30 for the first time in years

Options
sofrances
sofrances Posts: 156 Member
edited June 2020 in Success Stories
Today I weighed myself and for the first time in I don't know how many years, my BMI was not in the obese range (it was 29.9).

I know this is only one battle won in a life-long war against obesity. I don't really think I can afford to see myself as a person who is not obese, only a person whose obesity is "in remission". "Relapse" is an ever-present possibility.

I'm going to keep going (although a bit slower), keep counting (forever, in all likelihood), keep exercising.

But today, I'm going to put my worries aside and let myself be happy.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    It feels great getting out of that obese range, congratulations!
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well done, getting below 30 is a terrific victory!
  • _Weight_Of_Ink_
    _Weight_Of_Ink_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beautifully said <3 Congratulations!!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know that feeling of feeling like you’re “in remission” rather than it being completely over. I see it as an overall positive feeling, because it teaches me that I must keep up my good habits to continue being successful, and that I can’t fall back on old coping mechanisms. It also teaches me that I have overcome, so I deserve to be successful (this is hard for me).
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That is a very exciting realization and accomplishment. Woohoo!

I too love the idea of “remission”. The words we choose help to keep the focus where it needs to be. I have learned over the years that if I allow others comments and opinions get to me, I will relapse. So I have to reframe things in ways that support me. Whatever it takes to support yourself!
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It is an amazing feeling and a great achievement Well done, you really are right to be happy today
  • digestibleplastic
    digestibleplastic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I like the idea of thinking about being in remission. I think I will make sure to think of it in that way from now on :)
  • ZenDream
    ZenDream Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you. Getting there takes discipline and hard work. You should be happy with the milestone. Best of luck on the journey.
  • kraemarch2
    kraemarch2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Great job!! Love your attitude. :)
  • Fizzysgirl
    Fizzysgirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • runningfitz
    runningfitz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great attitude and mindset!
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :smile:
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Seriously, that is a massive achievement and you should be immensely proud of yourself.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    sofrances wrote: »
    Today I weighed myself and for the first time in I don't know how many years, my BMI was not in the obese range (it was 29.9).

I know this is only one battle won in a life-long war against obesity. I don't really think I can afford to see myself as a person who is not obese, only a person whose obesity is "in remission". "Relapse" is an ever-present possibility.

I'm going to keep going (although a bit slower), keep counting (forever, in all likelihood), keep exercising.

But today, I'm going to put my worries aside and let myself be happy.

It is like those that say, "Once a Marine, always a Marine", or in Alcoholics Anonymous, they most often refer to themselves as a "Recovering" alcoholics, even after 10 or more years of sobriety. I too appreciate the idea of having my obesity in remission. I've had that "healthy, conscientious" switch in my brain turned off numerous times after a significant weight loss and I've reverted back to my old eating habits. My new mantra is "Maintaining weight loss requires the same amount of effort that losing weight did".
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!