2nd week and no loss

Options
2»

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning to remind myself what I am doing. That and a blood sugar count every morning keep me honest. I don't worry if things go up and down. I do try to figure out what's going on. I know that two days after Chinese take out I will have gained 4 pounds which takes about a week to shed. That's not solely from the excess calories in unmeasured General Tso's Chicken but the salt in the whole meal throwing water retention off.

Sometimes, if you weigh on a daily basis, the scale will seem to mess with you just because it can. Last night I had unmeasured amounts of seafood mac'n'cheese but this morning the scale showed a loss of over a pound. Why? To teach me not to expect too much overnight logic in body weight. Truth be told, I should have gained weight from the reckless consumption I did. It might show up tomorrow. Who knows. What's important is that the scale numbers creep downward over the long haul and that today I eat as I should: within my calorie limits!
  • pins1982
    pins1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice x
  • roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Perhaps what I said earlier was not understood the way it was intended and for that, I apologize. What I intended and probably should has stated was that the PERCEPTION that people have is that weight loss takes a long time but weight gain is instantaneous. People who are trying and struggling to lose weight will see the pounds come off eventually, but will tend to notice the upward fluctuations that occur more quickly, and react to them as if things aren't working. Track your progress, and that includes the fluctuations.

My weight fluctuates by as much as 2 or 3 pounds over the course of a week. It sounds like a lot, but in reality, my average weight has gone down by a few pounds since I started this. I weigh myself normally 4 times in 7 days. The chart that I use for this is a month long daily chart. The one I use to measure progress is a weekly chart that covers a 14 week period with a line graph so I can see the progress over that period, even though in the early stages, it looks like I'm stable or even gaining. By the 14th week, though, there is a very gradual decrease. So, the loss takes time, but the daily weighing makes it seem like the gains are right away. It is the perception of the individual; thus the reason to keep a separate "official" record. the tracking apps actually do that for you, although I don't really use them. I prefer my own charts and logs.
  • lucidchroma
    lucidchroma Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Yes, totally. Likely water weight fluctuations. If you weigh once a week then you might be unlucky to get an unusual low measurement one week, and an unusually high measurement the next. A weight trending app might help you see the trend in the data, but with one datapoint per week (always under same conditions, best naked in the morning after loo) it will take longer to get meaningful data.

And hey, so the scale showed a down of 5lbs in two weeks. That's 2.5 per week. What's wrong with that?

Weigh everything uncooked, and everything separately. Thus potato with skin x grams, 10ml of cooking oil, etc. etc. Many things change their weight after cooking, some things lose weight (water and fat mostly), others take up things and become heavier. Raw weight is the most precise as you don't know how much food changes from cooking.

What about boiled egg? I mean sometimes I eat white part of 2-3 boiled eggs with 1 whole egg.