Vegan/vegetarian

Options
I'm thinking of going vegan/vegetarian for two weeks to see if I notice any change or if I feel any better. Hopefully I can stick with it permanently. My question is where do I start like simple recipes. Yes I know plant-based duh.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,508 Member
    Options
    What kind of changes or feeling of being better do you expect? For weight loss vegan/vegetarian doesn't play a role, only calories do. There are some suggestions that certain foods could play a role in diminishing inflammation and as such might play a role in autoimmune disorders and cardiovascular conditions, but a) this research is in very early stages and b) these food constituents are mostly fatty fish and some meats - if they work at all.
  • slcomer5
    slcomer5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 2 months now, I'm enjoying the new recipes. I think cutting out meat has helped me with some stomach issues I was having, but I have to be careful not to over do the carbs now!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The answer is always Pinterest.
    Nobody knows what you like or don't or what equipment you have or how much time or your grocery access or budget. Pinterest is magical for finding recipes and then getting led on to more of what you like.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is a great source for all types of recipes, including vegan ones. I'm not sure what kind of change you're expecting to feel -- veganism encompasses many different styles of eating. It's certainly possible to thrive as a vegan (I've been doing it for thirteen years now), but there is nothing about reducing your participation in animal exploitation that is automatically going to improve your physical health.
  • dru66mfp
    dru66mfp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vegan for 10 yrs here, it's so great and you will notice changes! You may need to give it more than 2 weeks though.

I suggest starting here: https://kickstart.pcrm.org/en
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember is to take care of your nutrient levels so be sure to research properly and meal plan accordingly otherwise you may suffer deficiencies that will affect your wellbeing and skew results.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I feel better when my diet is higher in whole foods and lower in hyper-palatable, ultra processed foods, but it is entirely possible to eat a lot of veg* junk food.

For only two weeks, you don't need to worry about B12 or iron deficiencies (unless you are anemic), but if you stick with it, I recommend supplementing B12 and getting your iron levels tested periodically. Non-heme sources of iron like from leafy greens are less easily utilized by the body than heme sources like from red meat.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/wellness/every-vegan-vegetarian-needs-vitamin-b12/#:~:text=In one study, vitamin B12,deficiency can easily be prevented.