Pull-ups?

Options
I can do chin ups with no bother, but I can’t do a single pull-up! Are there any exercises that could help get me there? Or is it just a case of needing to strengthen my back?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Lat pull downs and inverted rows, I reckon.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Negative pull-ups - jumping up to the top of the pull-up and slowly lowering to the bottom of the pull-up.

Banded pull-ups - using a band on the pull-up bar to reduce the weight you have to pull.

It took me a year of this before I could do one real pull-up.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Doing pull ups supported is a good option. You can do that with a band or you can put something under you to support your feet such as a chair or a bench.

Other options that should also be included are supplemental exercises like different types of rows.

A lot of people overlook the other muscle groups that support pull ups like the hands, forearms, biceps, shoulders, midsection/core (abs, lower back, hips, glutes). Don't forget about them in your chase for pull ups.
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Are you talking with your palms facing in or out?
    I can do a like 2 or 3 pullups with palms in but palms out, I can't do a single one. :s
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hursty20 wrote: »
    I can do chin ups with no bother, but I can’t do a single pull-up! Are there any exercises that could help get me there? Or is it just a case of needing to strengthen my back?

When working on your chin ups, did you follow any specific program or guidelines?
  • Hursty20
    Hursty20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    MT1134 wrote: »
    Hursty20 wrote: »

When working on your chin ups, did you follow any specific program or guidelines?

Not really. I started with single jumping chin ups. Once I could do it without jumping I would do them normally and just keep increasing the amount.
  • Hursty20
    Hursty20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    spr931 wrote: »
    Are you talking with your palms facing in or out?
    I can do a like 2 or 3 pullups with palms in but palms out, I can't do a single one. :s

Yes, with palm in. Palms out is what I’m really struggling with too. It feels impossible to get up there haha