How to lose 40 lbs?

Options
I’m 5 feet tall and I weigh 160 pounds. I’ve been exercising everyday using my indoor bike, taking walks and some weight lifting but I don’t seem to be losing weight and/or fat. I have noticed however that my muscles are becoming very defined and I feel stronger but again my old pants and dresses do not fit - most of my body fat is concentrated in my hips thighs and butt. Is this just a matter of diet? Should I be restricting myself to 1500 calories a day to lose 1-2 lbs a week? Should I not eat carbs? Any advice tips tricks - and success stories?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    nadnan91 wrote: »
    I’m 5 feet tall and I weigh 160 pounds. I’ve been exercising everyday using my indoor bike, taking walks and some weight lifting but I don’t seem to be losing weight and/or fat. I have noticed however that my muscles are becoming very defined and I feel stronger but again my old pants and dresses do not fit - most of my body fat is concentrated in my hips thighs and butt. Is this just a matter of diet? Should I be restricting myself to 1500 calories a day to lose 1-2 lbs a week? Should I not eat carbs? Any advice tips tricks - and success stories?

Exercise can be relevant or completely irrelevant to weight loss or weight management in general. Regular exercise doesn't just default to losing weight...if it did, people who exercise for the purpose of their health and fitness would ultimately wither away and die. You can lose weight, maintain weight, and gain weight with regular exercise depending on what your ratio to calories in to calories out is. Weight management ultimately comes down to calories...if you exercise and consume a balance of calories, you will maintain weight...if you exercise and consume fewer calories than your body needs, you will lose weight...if you exercise and consume more calories than your body needs, you will gain weight.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    To lose weight eat less calories than your body burns. Calorie deficit. Exercise may help you be in a calorie deficit, but isn’t necessary for weight loss.