Weighing Apples.

Options
Is the best way to weigh an apple to log, weighing it before you eat it, weighing it after you eat it (leaving the corre) and logging the portion you ate. Or should i just log the 80 calories and not over think it?

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I weight what I’m eating by the gram. I don’t eat the core so I cut that out. I’ve had my Apple come to more than 80 calories depending on size.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It's more accurate to subtract the core from the total, but it's probably only a 10-20 calorie difference, so it's not that big of a deal to just log the whole thing so you don't have to bother with weighing the core. I usually remove the core before I weigh.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If I'm at home, I do the subtraction (or chop the apple before eating an weigh the pieces). If I'm away from home, I weigh the whole apple and don't worry about the extra few calories that will be logged.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just log the 80 calories and eat the apple. I don't really pay attention to what the core weighs or differentiate for apple type. Unless it was abnormally huge, I just log the same apple entry each time.

If I was cutting it up and putting pieces into a salad, then I'd probably weigh the portion and log that. But, that's usually part of a recipe that I count once, then just log it the same each time (even if the ingredients change slightly with each salad).
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I weigh it, peel, core, and all, and log the total weight as serving. I use the extra weight as room for error.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If I can I only log what I eat but if I can't I'll log the weight of the whole apple.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I just took the 80 calories until I weighed an apple and realized that my average apple is about 120 calories.Here’s an idea: Weigh your next core -they’ll all be closer in weight than different apples - and subtract this from whole apples you weigh in future. Cuts a step and will only be out by a very few calories rather and around 40.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    b]Weigh your next core -they’ll all be closer in weight than different apples - and subtract this from whole apples you weigh in future. Cuts a step and will only be out by a very few calories[/b]

This awesome idea kicks *kitten*!