Confused about rice calories

Options
hipari
hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
I’m in the process of weighing in my commonly used measurements to log more accurately. I usually just eyeball stuff, but I’m trying to weigh things I cook frequently to see what my typical portion actually weighs. I’m well aware of why a food scale is important and that’s what I need to start doing if I stop seeing results, so I don’t need that lecture/advice.

My question is: how many calories can I actually expect to be in a serving of rice? I weighed my rice today before cooking and after cooking, so I have both dry and cooked weight. According to the package and an online search for calories in cooked rice (in Fineli, which is the local version of the USDA food database, pretty trustworthy), I came to two very contradicting calorie amounts.

Portion weighed dry: 125 grams, 444 calories
Portion weighed cooked: 150 grams, 183 calories

Previously I have just eyeballed things and logged 200g of cooked rice totaling 244 calories, and my weight loss has been pretty consistent with my logs. I only started a spreadsheet that shows calculated vs actual weight loss two weeks ago, but I follow trendweight and in the 2 weeks my trend weight loss is 90% of what the math says it should be. Currently I’m happy with that accuracy, but would love to take baby steps towards knowing my true portion sizes and calories better so I’m prepared for when things get harder. So, which option would be the most correct one to use in the future? Or is the option of my food scale being broken more likely? The type of rice is basmati/white, if that makes a difference.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Log the rice uncooked.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,140 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Dry is more accurate.

But I find it very strange that your 125 gr of dry rice only absorbed 25 grams of water, the difference between dry and cooked is usually larger? (I don't eat much rice, except risotto, so I hope a frequent rice eater can confirm)
  • hipari
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Dry is more accurate.

But I find it very strange that your 125 gr of dry rice only absorbed 25 grams of water, the difference between dry and cooked is usually larger? (I don't eat much rice, except risotto, so I hope a frequent rice rather can confirm)

Yeah, this is what lead me to consider option 4 - scale is broken. Maybe I have to do this again next time I cook rice to see what gives.

Also - damn, the 125g dry is a package-recommended serving. That is a LOT of calories.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,140 Member
    Options
    Isn't 125gr the recommended serving size for two people? Or it was on the last package of rice I bought at least.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Isn't 125gr the recommended serving size for two people? Or it was on the last package of rice I bought at least.

Yeah, 125g dry is a lot of rice, even for a rice lover like me.
  • akmamagirl
    akmamagirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, since we're talking about rice......
    Can anyone weigh in (wink-wink) on whether or not day old rice has less calories?
    Dr. Google says that it has 1/2 the calories, I am dubious!
    I really really really want it to be true, but I don't think that it is.
  • hipari
    Options
    Also, a more humorous thanks to you two, you made me get out of bed and take some extra steps to the kitchen to re-read the package to figure out where I went wrong. Every step counts :wink:
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Also, a more humorous thanks to you two, you made me get out of bed and take some extra steps to the kitchen to re-read the package to figure out where I went wrong. Every step counts :wink:

Confirmed: clearing up confusion burns calories. Brain power.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    akmamagirl wrote: »
    Can anyone weigh in (wink-wink) on whether or not day old rice has less calories?

Why would day old rice have half the calories? Does a day passing cause it to lose calories? Does that only work for rice, or do all my day old foods lose half their calories? By day 4 is it a zero calorie food? I've so many rice related questions.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Wow!! This was very educational. The entry I've been using is for 0.75 Cup Cooked and lists 150 calories. Now of course we've been told Cups are not decent measurements but I was just too lazy to look for an entry with grams.

As to day old rice having half the calories, I just know that day old rice tastes better!!
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Why would day old rice have half the calories? Does a day passing cause it to lose calories? Does that only work for rice, or do all my day old foods lose half their calories? By day 4 is it a zero calorie food? I've so many rice related questions.

If anything it has "more" calories because some of the water has evaporated, making it more calorie-dense per gram, lol.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options
    I’m in the process of weighing in my commonly used measurements to log more accurately. I usually just eyeball stuff, but I’m trying to weigh things I cook frequently to see what my typical portion actually weighs. I’m well aware of why a food scale is important and that’s what I need to start doing if I stop seeing results, so I don’t need that lecture/advice.

My question is: how many calories can I actually expect to be in a serving of rice? I weighed my rice today before cooking and after cooking, so I have both dry and cooked weight. According to the package and an online search for calories in cooked rice (in Fineli, which is the local version of the USDA food database, pretty trustworthy), I came to two very contradicting calorie amounts.

Previously I have just eyeballed things and logged 200g of cooked rice totaling 244 calories, and my weight loss has been pretty consistent with my logs. I only started a spreadsheet that shows calculated vs actual weight loss two weeks ago, but I follow trendweight and in the 2 weeks my trend weight loss is 90% of what the math says it should be. Currently I’m happy with that accuracy, but would love to take baby steps towards knowing my true portion sizes and calories better so I’m prepared for when things get harder. So, which option would be the most correct one to use in the future? Or is the option of my food scale being broken more likely? The type of rice is basmati/white, if that makes a difference.

125g as 444 cal is what my rice is. 160 cal for 45 g dry. Give or take 20ish depending on the brand and kind of rice. I usually use basmati.

Cooked weight is going to be different everytime unless you weigh and use exactly the same amount of water and cooking time. If youre a little over or under for water, the cooked weight will change. Weighing it when cooked is useful if you know you made say 3 portions... weight all of it, divide by 3 and then weight out 1/3 of total cooked weight. I dont usually bother doing that since I figure the exactness evens out when I eat the leftovers.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

so I have heard this as well. Its because when it gets cold in the fridge, something changes in its structure that make our guts less able to absorb/digest the nutrients (so like when you eat corn kernels... its corn in and corn out haha). The calories don't disappear though. However I wouldn't count on it actually working out that way. I always use the full value. If you chew more (think if you ate pureed corn, you'd absorb more nutrients including calories), more will digest... might depend on the kind of rice too... basically there is too much guess work.

And you should take what I said there with a grain of salt. Its not like my research was very scientific. I asked my brother once and he told me what he read HA.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

There was some noise for awhile about I think it was called resistant starch. That if you cooked a starch and then refrigerated it some of the carbs would change and not be digested. But if I remember correctly the possible range of the calorie/carb difference between eaten freshly cooked and eaten cooked-refrigerated went from hardly anything to unbelievably high. And I haven't seen anything to corroborate that since.

So no, I wouldn't count on it. Maybe consider it a possible mystery bonus :wink:
  • hipari
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

125g as 444 cal is what my rice is. 160 cal for 45 g dry. Give or take 20ish depending on the brand and kind of rice. I usually use basmati.

Cooked weight is going to be different everytime unless you weigh and use exactly the same amount of water and cooking time. If youre a little over or under for water, the cooked weight will change. Weighing it when cooked is useful if you know you made say 3 portions... weight all of it, divide by 3 and then weight out 1/3 of total cooked weight. I dont usually bother doing that since I figure the exactness evens out when I eat the leftovers.

Yeah, I know dry weight is what counts. I wanted to weigh the cooked portion as well to educate myself about what different portions weigh, and because I eat out in restaurants and buffets a lot and it helps to eyeball portion sizes there. At that point I had already freaked out about the 444 calories because I had messed up with portion sizes and cooking for two as explained above, so I wanted to ”confirm” and see if the cooked rice entry would result in similar calories.