Gatorade alternatives?

Options
As I start doing more endurance sports/activities that last 90+ minutes, what would be a good option for electrolytes this summer? I loathe Gatorade, it never was my favorite but (TMI) after 2 colonoscopies the last 2 years I can’t stomach it at all. Even fruit punch flavored gum makes me gag at this point because of the similar flavor. I found a drink at Aldi that seems to be decent, need to find the bottle I saved, but not sure how accessible it will be once they sell out. Looking for other options and ideas?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For electrolytes only - I buy tubes of effervescent tablets. Currently using SIS branded ones.
    (You can buy unflavoured electrolyte tablets aimed at keto enthusiasts for less money but they taste pretty grim.)

If you are also looking for fuelling your long rides from your drink - I mix my drinks for long rides from powder - I buy 2.2kg tubs of the stuff.
    Currently using High-5 brand but there's loads of alternatives and you can also choose with or without caffeine, glucose only or glucose/fructose blend.

From experience I know that on a hot day I can't force down the orange flavoured ones once my bottles warm up but lemon or lime flavoured ones I can chug down.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,736 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I use Biosteel electrolyte powder. Spot on! Powered Zero, wild cherry flavor is awesome
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Tailwind for really long runs (trail runs) and bike rides. For performance longer runs I sometimes use Maurten drinks. For everything else just plain water works well.

FWIW - Regular Gatorade you find in the supermarket is pretty much garbage for performance. Gatorade Endurance would be the only one worth buying. It has a less sweet taste than the regular stuff and may be worthwhile checking out. I used to use it before I switched to Tailwind.
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is a natural option. I also like the Japanese (I think) drink Pocari Sweat. If you can get over the name 😅 it’s a subtle-tasting alternative to Gatorade. I see it in Asian supermarkets or you can probably find it online. Comes in powder sachets too. (I’m not an endurance athlete but lived and worked in Indonesia for three years, that’s where I picked up these two tips!)
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    wgix17mj4qjh.jpg
    My husband picked up a few flavors of these for me to try... we do keep a few bottles of coconut water around for my him for leg/foot cramps, didn’t think about that! It is easy for me to drink. I am thinking maybe I can drink something a little while before a Sprint Tri or other longer duration activity in hopes that I won’t fizzle out then the rest afterwards. I don’t handle heat well so any help I can get is a bonus.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Tailwind for really long runs (trail runs) and bike rides. For performance longer runs I sometimes use Maurten drinks. For everything else just plain water works well.

FWIW - Regular Gatorade you find in the supermarket is pretty much garbage for performance. Gatorade Endurance would be the only one worth buying. It has a less sweet taste than the regular stuff and may be worthwhile checking out. I used to use it before I switched to Tailwind.

I will have to keep an eye out for Gatorade Endurance, worth a shot if the flavor profile is different. I’ll check out the other brands as well, thanks!
  • moonangel12
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I use Biosteel electrolyte powder. Spot on! Powered Zero, wild cherry flavor is awesome
    sijomial wrote: »
    For electrolytes only - I buy tubes of effervescent tablets. Currently using SIS branded ones.
    (You can buy unflavoured electrolyte tablets aimed at keto enthusiasts for less money but they taste pretty grim.)

If you are also looking for fuelling your long rides from your drink - I mix my drinks for long rides from powder - I buy 2.2kg tubs of the stuff.
    Currently using High-5 brand but there's loads of alternatives and you can also choose with or without caffeine, glucose only or glucose/fructose blend.

From experience I know that on a hot day I can't force down the orange flavoured ones once my bottles warm up but lemon or lime flavoured ones I can chug down.

Thanks for the recs! I will check them out!