Word You Love/Hate

Options
KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
Post a word you are particularly fond of... and one you aren't as fond of.. or that makes you outright uncomfortable.

Word I love: Cattywampus (cool word that means "askew" or "not lined up".

Word I don't: Moist (particularly because people insist on saying it over and over to annoy others).

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    As a bilingual person whose mother tongue is English, I've been fond of French words and sayings since I was small.

While I'm well past grown, I still like the sound of "cacahuète" (phonetically "caca-wet" 😩😭🤣 but means 🥜) and "caoutchouc" (phonetically "cow-oo-chew" but means rubber like you'd use for rubber boots)
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    As a bilingual person whose mother tongue is English, I've been fond of French words and sayings since I was small.

While I'm well past grown, I still like the sound of "cacahuète" (phonetically "caca-wet" 😩😭🤣 but means 🥜) and "caoutchouc" (phonetically "cow-oo-chew" but means rubber like you'd use for rubber boots)

It's a beautiful language. One I sadly don't know much about! Thanks for sharing. Got any other words in French you really enjoy?
  • will_it_go_round_in_circles
    Options
    Dongle cracks me up everytime. Working in IT you hear it daily.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    Dongle cracks me up everytime. Working in IT you hear it daily.

I see your Dongle and raise you a ganglion.
    Options
    😳 you seent my wuuut? 😳
  • flynntrader
    flynntrader Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Love - mombod
    Hate - woke
    Options
    carbuncle

hate the word and the thing
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but when people abbreviate radiator to rad. It ruffles my feathers.
    Also 'bruh'.

A word I enjoy is stupendous.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Hate the word succulent. There used to be a low-budget local radio ad for a deli advertising BBQ meats and the narrator drew out that word in the most painfully irritating way.

Love notwithstanding. I write legal stuff all day and try to work it in as often as possible.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

It's a beautiful language. One I sadly don't know much about! Thanks for sharing. Got any other words in French you really enjoy?

It is a quite beautiful language (and culture) so there's so many I could add lol