Protein intake

Options
I don’t normally look at macros but I’ve been so hungry the past few days I decided to take a look. I’m hardly eating any protein. I’m not a big fan of eggs or yoghurt. How do you get your protein into your daily meals?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I use only whole grains, I use several servings of dairy daily, two servings of meat or fish, usually one serving of beans daily. I often have two or three servings of nuts and/or flax meal.

I also have protein powder as a supplement, both plant-based and whey. On most days that include exercise I have a half or three quarter scoop of powder. Usually hit 100-125g protein on my 2000 calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Mandy72CM wrote: »
    I don’t normally look at macros but I’ve been so hungry the past few days I decided to take a look. I’m hardly eating any protein. I’m not a big fan of eggs or yoghurt. How do you get your protein into your daily meals?

I'm assuming that you are an omnivore, because otherwise you would have included that essential bit of information. So, eat meat/poultry/fish.

If for some reason you are a non-meat eater but didn't mention that, see Jane's post above.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I eat meat (chicken, fish, beef or pork) along with eggs daily. When I am low on protein, I will drink a protein shake (the one I am using now has 1 gram of carbs per serving).

You can also add egg whites to a lot of things because they have almost no taste and are almost pure protein. I get the cartons of egg whites (just for the simplicity of using them).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Homemade beef jerky.

I just made a yummy batch marinated in a little soy sauce, crushed pineapple (including juice) and Trader Joe’s Umami seasoning. Very savory and the calories are mostly in the meat, since the marinade is pretty neglible. I think I’m going to add grated fresh ginger next time.
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I also use a lot of egg whites. Since I have laying hens, I use whole eggs. I separate the whites out for me and add the yolks to my sons' omelettes. Or I feed them to the dog as a treat.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have a vegan protein powder that I love, throw it in a smoothie every morning with some banana, blueberries, kale, chia seeds and almond milk and it provides me with a yummy, high protein breakfast that keeps me full for ages.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Meat (much of which is fish), cottage cheese, eggs, greek yogurt, and when not eating animal products, beans and lentils, tofu and tempeh, plus misc protein in things like nuts and seeds and whole grains. There's also some in some vegetables.

When eating meat I have plenty without having to think about it.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If you’re looking for snacks and aren’t a big ”clean eater”, there’s lots of different protein puddings at least where I live in. I really like one that’s chocolate flavored.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    If you’re looking for snacks and aren’t a big ”clean eater”, there’s lots of different protein puddings at least where I live in. I really like one that’s chocolate flavored.

You can also create your own 'pudding' using protein powder and flavorings (if you want them)... just add enough water to give the powder the consistency of pudding and eat with a spoon.
  • hollyegan98
    hollyegan98 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tuna and chicken packets are loaded with protein. If you are hungry try a tablespoon of PB.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I build meals around my protein source as well. Aiming for 100-120gm/day so I eat protein in every meal and snack. Protein powder mixed with my soaked steel cut oats and chia seeds had been an evening snack lately. Throw some Greek yogurt, nuts, seeds, or berries on top to dress it up.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »

You can also create your own 'pudding' using protein powder and flavorings (if you want them)... just add enough water to give the powder the consistency of pudding and eat with a spoon.

Also protein fluff.

ETA: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260546/protein-fluff-where-have-you-been-all-my-life/p1