Snarky comments

KNoceros
KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Why do people think it’s acceptable (or even as one said yesterday, “their duty”!!) to make comments on other people’s weight?

Twice in the last two days I have been told by people I barely know (at work) that I apparently have “lost too much weight”.

According to one, it will make my face go sunken and give me a wrinkly neck, and the other reckons my husband will go off me because I’m “too bony”.

I’ve worked really hard to be this size. And BMI 21.6 is hardly emaciated. I have strong legs and a solid core. I am active and sporty. And my husband thinks I’m just fine thank you very much 😉

So as my gran used to say: If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    After all the work that goes into modifying behavior and losing weight, it must be very disheartening to hear those kinds of comments. Maybe they're jealous?

I'd think of a snappy comeback and repeat every time you hear something like that, such as 'why is it your concern?' or 'I feel great!'

Good luck and congratulations!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Well, just a point, sometimes people lose weight and people that don't know them well think they might have an illness. It can come from a position of concern. Just reply that your doctor is so pleased with your weight loss, and you are following his (or her) recommendations. Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I think that's appalling.

I would consider having a chat with HR about their behaviour, they cannot go round making inappropriate comments about appearance.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Yes to talking to HR about it.

I think I would look them right in the eye and (NOT smiling) say, "Mind your own business."
  • ebrookes73
    ebrookes73 Posts: 18 Member
    Nasty behaviours from your colleagues. Emotional manipulation techniques (you'll look ugly! your husband will abandon you!) to avoid facing up to their own issues. Hold your head high and keep doing you.