Fitbit calorie Adjustment too high?

Options
zainuma
zainuma Posts: 2 Member
hi,

I went to the mall and walked around for a few hours about 8k steps or so... it gave me a calorie adjustment of over 1000 calories. That does not sound right? What is going on? thanks.

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Hi, what's your current weight? Do you have a Fitbit model that measures heart rate or just the steps? What is your activity setting on MFP?

I checked my data, and Fitbit has recently auto-tracked a walk as a workout with the following stats:
    - 7171 steps
    - 611 calories burned

My activity setting is lightly active, and I spent the rest of that day sitting on the couch watching tv (if I remember correctly), so my calorie adjustment on MFP side is 284. Fitbit calorie burn estimates are usually pretty accurate for me, so based on mine I'd say yours could be right if the following circumstances are true:
    1) your MFP activity setting is sedentary (which means MFP thinks you don't normally walk much at all) OR you spent the day being otherwise active as well, leading to a high total burn
    2) you are as heavy or heavier than me, 215 lbs. Calorie burns are energy expenditure, and energy expenditure is physics. Moving a heavy object requires energy=calories, and a heavy body requires more calories to be moved than a light one.

These are just educated guesses based on my own data. The only way to find out if it's right in your case is to follow the advice and calorie amounts MFP gives you, measure and log everything accurately, continue that for several weeks, and then see if your results are what you expected. If not, adjust.