Recommendations for a 1 hour workout for beginners

So I've lost 11lbs in lock down just by cutting crap and taking the dog for more walks. I'm focusing more now on calories and eating better nutritionally, and I want to ramp up my exercise to go alongside this.

I've gotten my body used to waking up earlier now so I have 1 hour "free" in the morning before work to workout. I absolutely hate running. I've tried couch to 5k 4 times and I get migraines and feel sick the rest of the day. I've always hated running!

I've found the channel "fitness blender" on YouTube, I was wondering if anyone else had any recommendations?

Thanks!

Replies

• netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    fitnessblender is nice, I like that you can filter by type/difficulty/length/equipment etc if you go to their website... I also use popsugar, hasfit, sydney cummings, madfit etc, and yoga with adriene on some of my "off" days
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    If you like music and dance, zumba is a fun workout. There are a lot of free workouts on YouTube. Congrats on losing 11 pounds!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    On YouTube, I enjoy the Body Project workouts (no equipment and you can choose beginner, advanced, low impact, etc.) as well as the old and trusty Leslie Sansone walking videos (if it's too hot or rainy outside I do this).
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    What do you enjoy doing? There are a load of free exercise apps and routines online, so why not pick one a day for a week and see which you love and which you hate? I used to love doing JustDance on the Wii - that certainly burnt calories and put me in an awesome mood! Now I like to throw weights around 😀
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    FitnessBlender is the best, I’d just stick with them!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Congrats on your initial weight loss and decision to be more active with your time.

I suggest a resistance program to help retain muscle as you lose weight.

In general people who have weight to lose are happier with the results if they incorporate appropriate resistance training. There are plenty of well established evidence of the benefits that goes along with it and the current recommendation is two days a week of training.

Plenty of programs to chose from once you note the equipment and time available.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    It depends on what you like to do. If you enjoy walking, keep walking. I like step, so I subscribed to Fitoutsidethebox and Jenny Ford. If you want more strength training, Sydney Cummings is great. She posts a new video every morning, so you don't even have to think about what to do! I also like Yvette Bachman.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you're a beginner, I would suggest starting with 20 minutes then increase by 5 min a week until you get to 60.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    Do you have access to a gym?

Think about what you like doing and are likely to stick to

I’d do weight training because that’s what I like. And it helps with looking good as one is losing weight by preserving muscle and maybe building muscle too
  • sarajune2706
    sarajune2706 Posts: 1 Member
    I also love Boxing, so if it's something you'd like to try, you could do the 7 days trial at title boxing on demand.com
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    I love Barre and Pilates Mat workouts to work on strength and core (plenty available online). And I like Bootcamps for cardio.