How to measure calories after frying?

Options
saynow111
saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Suppose I used 26 gm of oil to fry a piece of meat
Should I add these 26 gm of oil to calorie of this meat ?
And that is it
To know the overall calories ?
Is it accurate so or not ?
I found oil get black after frying is it still oil and should be substracted from the 26 gm or not ?
I am curious about that ?
Thank you

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    Options
    This is just me, anecdotally speaking. I would count all the oil.

There may be liquid left in the pan but I figure a lot of it’s water from the meat itself, since they pump meats full of saline.

Instead of pan frying have you considered getting an oil mister? You can choose what oil you prefer to put in it.

If I’m making fajitas or chopped chicken for another dish, I cook it “dry” in a Teflon pan. There’s usually enough liquid in the meat to give good results and brown well. Then I add whatever sauce I want to add and heat it all through.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I usually log all the oil I put in the pan, which encourages me to use less oil overall (and measure it really carefully).

Now if I marinated something and a lot of the marinade was left in the ziplock bag (or dish that you marinated the meat in), I might only log 1/2 or 3/4 of the marinade.

But for pan frying, it seems like pretty much all the oil I use gets absorbed by the food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    For pan frying, I log all the oil. Oil is going into the food and liquid is coming out, so if I measure the liquid left I consider myself to be running the risk of undercounting the oil (which, of course, is a very calorie dense food).

For deep frying, my default assumption (based on a bit of internet research) is that food will absorb oil at the rate of about 25% of the weight of the food fried (that's on the high end, but I want to make sure I'm not underestimating since I do eat deep fried foods at least several times a year).
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I also log all of the oil, although I try to use as little as possible. Depending on what I'm cooking I choose to use 1-cal spray oil whenever I can.