Running

Options
What cardio exercises really help tighten up lower belly fat and extra skin? I've heard running can really help belly fat I am thnkins about getting a treadmill is why I'm asking.

Replies

• naaoommiii
    Options
    I can't help with tightening up belly fat (although would love an answer myself) but I'm currently doing couch to 5k. I considered getting a treadmill but decided to go out on the roads instead - it's so much nicer getting fresh air and theres a breeze to keep cool. I love running past people, they always smile or give me some words of encouragement!
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ive heard that running is a great way for women to lose weight over all, I recently took to running. Ive finished a 5k now Im trying to prepare for a 1/2 in Oct. So the replys to this will be interesting.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose belly fat is to lose body fat. You cannot spot reduce. Running is a great way to get your heart rate up, but you have to watch your diet if you want to cut body fat. It is extremely hard to out-train a bad diet.
  • calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're a guy, belly fat is always the last to come off fully. It seems I have little to no fat on my body yet my belly fat is covering my abs. Sucks so bad, but have to keep the motivation, it will come off eventually. Running is king.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Polar monitor to track my heart rate and calorie burn. It was an eye-opener, because I learned that the machines at the gym overestimated my calorie burn significantly - especially the elliptical. But I also learned that running KICKS BUTT. If I push myself really hard on the elliptical, I can get my heart rate up to 140 and burn about 600 calories in 45 minutes. If I run at moderate to high effort, my heart rate is close to 160 and my calorie burn is over 800 in 45 minutes. That's a pretty significant difference.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You can't target areas of fat. All you can do is eat less and move more and the weight will reduce. You will tend to lose just like you put it on...so if the belly was the first place your weight appear, it will unfortunately be the last place you will lose from.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose belly fat is to lose body fat. You cannot spot reduce.

^^^^^THIS. In big, giant, bold letters.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It won't help you lose belly fat, but it will firm up what's underneath.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    I recently got a Polar monitor to track my heart rate and calorie burn. It was an eye-opener, because I learned that the machines at the gym overestimated my calorie burn significantly - especially the elliptical. But I also learned that running KICKS BUTT. If I push myself really hard on the elliptical, I can get my heart rate up to 140 and burn about 600 calories in 45 minutes. If I run at moderate to high effort, my heart rate is close to 160 and my calorie burn is over 800 in 45 minutes. That's a pretty significant difference.
    i too learned this when i started using the body bugg by body media !! so now i don't even fool with elliptical LOL - i "run" (more like jog/walk LOL) 5 miles outside 3 days a week , brisk walk with incline 2 miles on the treadmill & lift weights the other 2 days
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Definitely running... and deadlifts... super core and ab movement (uses whole core) Crunches can widen your hips and are a bit of a nothing exercise...

Any cardio that uses big muscle groups will help you lose weight assuming a diet to match, through sheer calorie deficit. But the motion of running does use your core a lot and so back and front muscles in your abs and obliques.

Plus lean arms from the pumping action and calorie burn! :)

TRIED, TESTED, WORKS!
  • WendyCollinson2004
    WendyCollinson2004 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Like I have seen other people put on here, you cannot spot reduce. I run and I noticed that as I run more the belly seems to be getting lost. You have to do other exercises also, like core, legs, arms, etc.. I am very bad about getting these other exercises into my regimen, but I want to and eventually I will. I would rather run over doing this other stuff.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    abs-are-made-in-the-kitchen_design.png
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm

please read this too. :flowerforyou: