Can this be body dysmorphia?

JanetReyna
JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member

Is this normal? Or do I have body dysmorphia?
I took this pic with my family and I hate how my body looks.
Skinny legs, fat arms, fat face, and small boobs :( I want to know if only I see myself this way? Or do you all see it too? Please be honest.

Replies

• JanetReyna
    6hh8aw2jxk1b.jpeg
  • allycs85
    allycs85 Posts: 40 Member
    Is that your baby? She seems very young so Don't be so hard on yourself. You've taken the first step to change if you're not happy with yourself.
  • JanetReyna
    But many people on here tell me I might have body dysmorphia, like I’m stating what I see as myself and I don’t think I have that issue I guess I just see myself realistically. And yes, I am one month PP
  • allycs85
    JanetReyna wrote: »
    But many people on here tell me I might have body dysmorphia, like I’m stating what I see as myself and I don’t think I have that issue I guess I just see myself realistically. And yes, I am one month PP

Bit weird people would tell you that based on what you've said and without being medically trained. You need to give your body a chance to heal from the pregnancy and birth. 1 month isn't very long at all. Once it is medically safe to do so introduce light exercise and eat healthily bit make sure you're having enough extra calories to feed baby if breast feeding. It's normal to be heavier and have a bit of a tummy after having a baby. It took you 9 months to grow her don't expect your body to go back straight away it'll take time but you'll get there.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    If you hate your body, then yes its dysmorphia. I think your body is perfectly reasonable for having a newborn.

And do I see it? No. I think you look fantastic.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Giving birth and focusing on your baby is your priority right now. Whether you do or don't have BD shouldn't matter right now. Once the baby grows and needs you less, you can begin to think about yourself and where you want to go. And yes, I've said it before and Harper is telling you--you need therapy. Please consider it before doing anything. As your child grows, do you want her to be obsessed with her body? Be careful, children are sponges and watch everything you do and say.
  • allycs85
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    If you hate your body, then yes its dysmorphia. I think your body is perfectly reasonable for having a newborn.

And do I see it? No. I think you look fantastic.

You can hate your body and not have dysmorphia the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. We must all have things about our weight and bodies that we don't like or non of us would be on mfp.
  • allycs85
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    allycs85 wrote: »
    We must all have things about our weight and bodies that we don't like or non of us would be on mfp.

Ooop! I'm leveraging MFP not because of a dislike about my weight or body. On the contrary, I love my body and want to maintain or improve its health in some areas I (or my GP) have deemed key.

Sometimes words affect outlook.

So back to the OP, I'm not going to comment on your picture. You've gotten advice over several threads in the short time I've been around yet there's no clear indication that you're seeking or getting professional supports.

Please talk to your GP about your concerns and self-advocate for a healthy action plan to help get you to your goals while keeping in mind that you're postpartum.

Surely, you're doing well baby check-ups. So if you do not have a GP for some reason, consider asking your baby's pediatrician at the next check-up if they have a GP referral, recommendation or suggestion for you.

That's great for you and everything else you've said is spot on. Maybe I could have worded things differently but my point remains that labeling someone as having a serious mental health issue because they don't like the way their body looks is a bit much.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    We can't give you a medical diagnosis. Postpartum symptoms can be all over the map. Your medical professionals will know.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    harper16 wrote: »
    Based off your posting history you really should consider talking to a therapist. I honestly feel like it would help you.

OP go back and read your posts during your pregnancy you seemed to care a lot more about obtaining a certain look. Focused on how to get a slimmer waist size, and bigger butt.

@JanetReyna I just read your "FIT MOMS WITH BIG BUTS" and "99.9% close of giving up tbh..." threads and agree that you should discuss your body issues with a therapist.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    I’m the opposite Im hard on myself with what I see in the mirror but in photos I’m like that’s me 🤨 in the mirror I always feel like my arms look big in photos they look small.