PhD students struggling to stay fit?

any other phd students out there who are swamped with school, work and family and also struggling to maintain fitness?

Replies

• ADM1RALSNACKBAR
    ADM1RALSNACKBAR Posts: 10 Member
    Yesssss! Dude. This plus the 'Rona has royally derailed things.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I made some half-hearted attempts to get in shape when I was working on my PhD. But by the time I graduated I was near my heaviest weight of all time. It's not easy - good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Maybe one of those standing up treadmills that have a desktop. I'm sure they cost a fortune..but would work.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    yes!
  • soul_sista8
    soul_sista8 Posts: 2 Member
    Yes, especially as I am writing my prelims.
  • back2weddingweight
    back2weddingweight Posts: 4 Member
    Working on those prelims myself! Well...technically getting ready to start writing again! Just had my third baby in April (which is why I’m working on losing weight) so I took a three-ish month break. Good luck to you!

Also, what are you guys studying? I’m in French, studying blackness.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    God yes. I was supposed to be in fieldwork and currently stuck home and going crazy wondering if and when that's going to come back and what the impact on ever graduating will be. Its helped to get some long walks into my routine - when we were in full lockdown I'd make myself just go around the neighbourhood once a day, now I'm trying to swim a few times a week...its helped a lot. Not overeating as I'm trying to write is harder.
  • ADM1RALSNACKBAR
    ADM1RALSNACKBAR Posts: 10 Member
    I'm in Human-Computer Interaction studying accessibility for people with conditions affecting their cognition.
  • dblair27
    dblair27 Posts: 64 Member
    I'm a Master's student in a similar boat. I know it's not a PhD, but working full-time and managing full-time coursework really does take a lot out of you. Hang in there! So glad to see that there are others out there feeling the way I do!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    It went the other way for me. Did a PhD in my 20s. I was young, single, and energetic. I worked all day in the lab, hit the gym, pool, or bike at 5 with a like-minded group of fellow students. Ate dinner. Then back in the lab at 8.

Set your priorities and establish your habits early, is what I suggest. I'm still in reasonable shape 30 years later! (And, I did get that doctorate, despite the daily distraction.)