To gym, or not to gym

Options
I am very sore from my weight lifting class last night. My arms, my legs, my butt lol everything really. I was planning on doing the arc trainer today but I'm wondering if I should just rest today. If I don't work out. It's going to be really tight with the calories. I'll only have like 400 left from here on. So I will have to choose and eat wisley. What do you guys think?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would either take it really light or just rest and let your body heal a little
  • kcampbell111
    Options
    If it helps, I can tell you what I do. I usually take a circuit training/weight training class, or meet with my trainer a couple of times per week. In between, when I am really sore, I will use the day to just do cardio (at least 40 minutes). I kept to that regime because when I first started with my trainer, that is what she recommended.

Hope that helps!
  • chailey70
    chailey70 Posts: 10
    Options
    Maybe a nice walk or something like that. It'll help stretch the muscles without overexerting them. And a 45 minute leisurely stroll will give ya another 230 calories or so. Obviously a power walk will give ya more if ya want. Best luck, Chris
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I usualy rest if I pull my muscles like that. Make sure to stretch a little bit and if you feel up to exercising, try the treadmill today or the stationary bike, I use those for cardio when my body is really tired. Arc trainers are so intense! If it hurts to do any exercise, just rest. When I work out I like to take hot bubble baths and add lots of epsom salt. The salt helps make your muscles ache less. Just massage your muscles where they hurt while you soak. Feels soo gooood, and its a good reward for working out hard! :bigsmile:
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    If you don't work out at all, you're likely to be even more sore tomorrow.
    If you're worried about it hurting, take it easy, but definitely go to the gym.
  • cpendergrass
    cpendergrass Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd try to do a little cardio. i usually warm up on the treadmill for about 5 minutes, stretch--and then if i'm still feeling sore, workout on the elliptical--it's low impact, which is nice.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    I agree with Rose... a little something is always better than nothing at all... unless you haven't had a rest day in a long time. Otherwise, even a little walk will losen up your muscles!
  • ladysw357
    ladysw357 Posts: 43
    Options
    On days that I ache all over from exercise, I walk. Yep, walk. It helps release the lactic acid build up that causes the soreness. Hope this is helpful.
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, go to the gym. Do your cardio training today... start out light and increase intensity. By the time you are a minute or 2 in and your body is warmed up, you wont even feel the soreness at all anymore. Then, when you are finished, it is very important to stretch your muscles. Within an hour of finishing the workout, have a protein shake (or eat something with a lot of protein) to aid in recovery and reduce soreness.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Will start this off with "in my opinion" since I am not a professional:
    Soreness for me sets in on the first day which is a sign of recovery, I usually am worse the second day though, so basically in my experience, your gonna be sore for a couple of days no matter what, however I would go do something, a different bodygroup, cardio etc...it's much better than sitting around and hurting. Besides , if you go to the gym you can feel like your accomplishing something even if its a walk, its about burning the calories so maybe you have to walk/run/climb slower but longer!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I agree, a nice leisurely walk should give you a little light exercise and help release some of the tightness you're probably feeling in your sore muscles. I would also suggest yoga, if you have a DVD or a class or know enough to do a little on your own.
  • simonba18
    simonba18 Posts: 6
    Options
    I was always told a cardio workout would produce lactic acid which helps alleviate sore muscles. It won't take the soreness away, but you may recover quicker. If you can- do the bike a treadmill or elliptical. You'll be happy you burned the calories and it won't hurt you.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Do it anyway. Working out on the elliptical (are they similar) after a hard day on my legs always helped. At least take a walk because you need something to loosen up your muscles. You need to be eating a pretty large amount of protein after your work outs and then you won't be as sore.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    you're going to be even more sore tomorrow. i say some light cardio and lots of stretching to get everything moving, plus the added bonus of some calorie burn. your muscles will thank you tomorrow.