best fitness wristband?

Options
Hi, I'm considering getting a Jawbone Up or a Nike Fuel Band and would love some feedback. Which is your favourite? Are there better bands out there? Do you think they're a novelty and not worst the money? Let me know :)

Replies

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My wife has a BodyMedia Fit that she loves. Only complaint she has is that she can't take it with us when we go kayaking.
    All the data it gives motivates her, and helps her understand things like how poorly she was sleeping for a while. It is little things like realizing she has not yet hit X number of steps so we take the dogs for a longer walk, or thinking she just wasn't really pushing it as hard as she could during a workout and then seeing the numbers agree with that.
    Planning on getting one for myself before long.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to get the FitBit Flex. It's gotten great reviews and a friend of mine loves hers.
  • naaoommiii
    Options
    I've never heard of BodyMedia - will have to do some research!

softwind, I'd eliminated the FitBit Flex from my search, but it is lower in price. I'd love to hear some feedback when you've got it!
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had the nike fuelband and loved it when I was just getting started. I like how you can set a goal to hit and try to get long streaks etc. but the pedometer isn't accurate at all, I mean its on your wrist so it only measures when your arms move. The battery is kind of weak too, i'd have to charge it every 3 days.

I'm waiting for the amiigo to come out so I can get that! http://www.amiigo.co/
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I liked my fuelband when I first started out but as someone else mentioned its on your wrist so it's not accuarte. I'd burn more calories folding a basket of laundry than i would during a 45 minute workout.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and the SO has a Jawbone. We both love our bands for completely different reasons, so I think whichever one you think will help you the most (meets your needs, in other words) will be "the best" for you.

The Jawbone app, I feel, has more "stuff". You get immediate feedback there about how you compare to other Jawbone users (completely anonymously) in terms of steps taken, sleep, calories burned and a host of other things. I find my Fitbit app is good but the website is amazing with great flexibility in terms of types of goals you can set for yourself and such. The Jawbone seems to do better recording sleep, the Flex I feel does a better job with non-walking/running exercise (I like swimming). Note: not all bands are water-resistant or water-proof so check this carefully if you like water sports or don't like having to take it off every time you do dishes or have a shower.

Check out compatibility with your phone (if you plan on using it) as some devices won't communicate with some wristbands (the low powered Bluetooth communications protocol used by the Fitbit doesn't work with most Android phones yet, for example).

As for accuracy, we've found that the Jawbone and the Fitbit Flex record VERY similar numbers for steps (my SO and I are the same height, our steps are virtually identical when we walk together) and the total distances travelled.

Both the Jawbone and the Flex seem to go about 5-6 days between charges.
  • mrsmcf
    mrsmcf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit one that I just hook to my bra. I was going to get a bracelet but hate the way they look and I want this on ALL the time. So, I did a bunch of research and this was top reviewer so that's what I did and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
  • naaoommiii
    Options
    Yeah, I've read a lot of negatives about them being glorified (not to mention inaccurate!) pedometers. The vibrating alarm on the Up really appeals to me and I prefer the look as well. I'd like to have something quite discreet. Having said that, I haven't seen the Fuelband in person. It's tough!
  • naaoommiii
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and the SO has a Jawbone. We both love our bands for completely different reasons, so I think whichever one you think will help you the most (meets your needs, in other words) will be "the best" for you.

The Jawbone app, I feel, has more "stuff". You get immediate feedback there about how you compare to other Jawbone users (completely anonymously) in terms of steps taken, sleep, calories burned and a host of other things. I find my Fitbit app is good but the website is amazing with great flexibility in terms of types of goals you can set for yourself and such. The Jawbone seems to do better recording sleep, the Flex I feel does a better job with non-walking/running exercise (I like swimming). Note: not all bands are water-resistant or water-proof so check this carefully if you like water sports or don't like having to take it off every time you do dishes or have a shower.

Check out compatibility with your phone (if you plan on using it) as some devices won't communicate with some wristbands (the low powered Bluetooth communications protocol used by the Fitbit doesn't work with most Android phones yet, for example).

As for accuracy, we've found that the Jawbone and the Fitbit Flex record VERY similar numbers for steps (my SO and I are the same height, our steps are virtually identical when we walk together) and the total distances travelled.

Both the Jawbone and the Flex seem to go about 5-6 days between charges.

This is great, thanks! Everything in me is saying I'd be happy with the Jawbone. I'm all about using my iPhone to keep track of fitness and exercise, so it's more than likely I'll be using the app which, from reviews, looks to be better than the Fitflex. The fact that the Jawbone it isn't wireless doesn't bother me at all - my phone is glued to my hand!
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and love it!!!! the best part is, it is waterproof, so I literally NEVER take it off exept when it needs to charge (which is about every 5 days). I have it set to sync with MFP so I find it very motiviating! Plus you can sync it to Steps with Walgreens and get reward points.
  • cde5gtown
    cde5gtown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just got the jawbone and it's been great. The battery life is much better because of the lack of bluetooth. I personally like that it isn't constantly syncing since it keeps me "in the present" instead of always checking my phone for the numbers of steps I hit. Also one of the main reasons i got it was for the sleep data and it's much more robust than the fitbit flex (which I also strongly considered), and nonexistent on the nike fuel. Just my 2 cents.