A tipping point

Options
I've gained and lost weight 4 times now, and I'm beginning to notice a pattern. I realize I'm at an unhealthy weight, so I try a variety of methods to help me eat less. Usually I don't have success for a few years and then I finally do something that makes the pounds fall off. I maintain the weight I want for several years until some event or illness brings the pounds up and the cycle repeats. This time around I'd like to skip the "trying" for years and jump to the part where I lose the weight. I feel like I've done it enough I should have it figured out by now, but the same thing never seems to work twice.

The first time I dieted. I counted calories and the pounds fell off easily. It was my first time counting calories. The second time I joined WW and counted 'points' after calories didn't work. It was hard work, but I was strongly motivated by a personal loss and I went down 85 lbs. The third time the weight fell off without conscious effort. I had a lot of anxiety due to life and couldn't sit still. The last time I used "the hunger scale" when all the other things I tried didn't work.

I usually try a few new apps (Noom, mfp, Sparkpeople, LoseIt, etc. etc.), getting buddies or joining groups or clubs, using the scale, restricting certain foods, patterns, new workouts, meditating, hoping, wanting, and wishing; none of which have ever resulted in much success.

So, here I am again. I have about 2 clothing sizes to lose. I want to feel positive, but I don't know what direction to take. I'm in that phase where I want to feed my face until some "aha moment" hits me and I'm motivated to do the hard work. But a lot can happen between now and "being motivated", so I may as well get started. Any advice?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I can relate to what you're say ing.

When I lost my weight a few years ago.. what I did was think back to the eating plan that always worked for me. why I didn't stick with it as a way to maintain? I don't know..it was stupid. So, I went back to that plan that always worked.. and I lost my weight. I am using it now to lose my lockdown weight and should be back to my goal weight by early or mid July.

So.. think back.. what eating plan made you successful and happy...as if you could maintain on that and be healthy.

you can do this. :)
  • Redmond70
    Redmond70 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda, feel free to add me. Im just taking it one week at a time.
    you get much more out of losing weight than dropping clothes sizes. Your mental health will also improve and you will start feeling good about yourself again. How you are feeling now will change andcyou will start looking at the positive side of this.
    good luck