Replies

• sandrafolks0019
    sandrafolks0019 Posts: 2 Member
    Chubby
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    F
    What do I need to take to reduce my calories

What do you need to take? Less food than you burn. It is as uncomplicated as that.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Less food
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Yep - less food. As said above, enter your info to MFP and eat the number of calories stated, plus any exercise calories. Weigh everything you eat and measure all liquids. Eventually you may be able to guestimate, but many(if not most) people who try that find they're underestimating how much they're eating.

Don't set too aggressive a rate of weight loss unless you need to lose more than 40lbs (and from your description of 'chubby' I'm guessing you actually don't need to lose a lot, so 0.5 or 1lb a week may be most suitable).

Don't aim to eat less calories than given as MFP builds in a deficit based on what you enter.

Read the advice from the more experienced people on these forums too. They're the ones who have made thousands of comments and you'll potentially learn a lot of good advice.

Whilst you're getting to grips with things, you can start by eating whatever you were eating before but in smaller quantities. I've lost 17kg doing that. My mound of rice became a couple of spoonfuls, my large pile of roast potatoes became one or two pieces, if someone is serving cake (as will be happening later today), I'll have a thin slice. But, as much as possible, I pre-log what I think I'm going to eat that day so I can see how many calories I have available to play with.

From a long term perspective, it's better to lose slowly and learn what portion sizes and foods are suitable for your height, weight and activity level. Trying to lose quickly is more likely to result in you giving up because it's "too hard". Also, if you lose the weight and just go back to eating as you were before, you'll just put it all back on.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Yep - less food. As said above, enter your info to MFP and eat the number of calories stated, plus any exercise calories. Weigh everything you eat and measure all liquids. Eventually you may be able to guestimate, but many(if not most) people who try that find they're underestimating how much they're eating.

Don't set too aggressive a rate of weight loss unless you need to lose more than 40lbs (and from your description of 'chubby' I'm guessing you actually don't need to lose a lot, so 0.5 or 1lb a week may be most suitable).

Don't aim to eat less calories than given as MFP builds in a deficit based on what you enter.

Read the advice from the more experienced people on these forums too. They're the ones who have made thousands of comments and you'll potentially learn a lot of good advice.

Whilst you're getting to grips with things, you can start by eating whatever you were eating before but in smaller quantities. I've lost 17kg doing that. My mound of rice became a couple of spoonfuls, my large pile of roast potatoes became one or two pieces, if someone is serving cake (as will be happening later today), I'll have a thin slice. But, as much as possible, I pre-log what I think I'm going to eat that day so I can see how many calories I have available to play with.

From a long term perspective, it's better to lose slowly and learn what portion sizes and foods are suitable for your height, weight and activity level. Trying to lose quickly is more likely to result in you giving up because it's "too hard". Also, if you lose the weight and just go back to eating as you were before, you'll just put it all back on.

While this is one route, there are many ways to get to your goal. Where is Ms. @kshama2001 when ya need her handy dandy how diets work chart?🤔 While a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, how one creates that deficit is not. Eat less food? That's one way. Eat more foods that are less calorie dense is another. OP, the advice i would give is to choose a lifestyle that you enjoy and sustain in the long road and go with that. Best wishes.