Embarrassment

Options
Today I broke the bottom step of a friend's inground pool ladder clear in half when I stepped on it to get out of the pool and then became stuck in pool until I was able to pull my self up and roll my fat body over the edge to get out, it was so embarrassing. When I got home I just stood in front of the mirror and cried looking at myself in my bathing suit. I need to lose 100lbs. Here's to not giving up for the 1000th millionth time over and over again and again this time. Feel free to add me if you'd like

Replies

• cugogirl2017
    cugogirl2017 Posts: 8,764 Member
    Options
    Hang in there @melissa2013m we all have days that aren't our best that prompt us to make meaningful changes. Don't be hard on your self. Just keep going your time is now. This post was a brave first step.
  • AlannaWulf
    AlannaWulf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You got this!
  • fairy_daisy
    fairy_daisy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh that sounds such a tough day, but please don’t beat yourself up about it. Your motivation to change is great, hang on in there.
  • jeanettemahon499
    jeanettemahon499 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try to not be so hard on yourself......maybe its the 'nudge' you needed to help you? encourage you even? you wont build Rome in a day, so one day at a time eh? Stay safe.
  • supersparklyk
    supersparklyk Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I once sat in one of those folding director's chairs at just the wrong angle, and it collapsed under my weight. I totally feel your embarrassment. I have 136 pounds to lose at this moment, with 26 lost so far. You can absolutely do this!
  • myfp67
    myfp67 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm with the person who said the step was probably waiting to snap.

Put this behind you and look forward to continuing on your journey to a new you. Whilst the end goal may seem a long way off, remember - even a marathon starts with a single step?
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry that happened to you but I’m glad that you are here! I agree that step was already about done for!

I’ve still got a hundred pounds to lose... and I have been at this on and off for years. I’m as good of a buddy as I can be. I’m going to send you a friend request. I log in every day.

• sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Just think- one day you will look back and be thankful for that broken step- which led to your first step! 💪🏻
  • Tazaria87
    Tazaria87 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Use that moment to propel you forward and don't look back again. I too have lost and regained the same weight over and over but am determined to make this the last time! I have 100lbs to lose and am currently 26 down. We can do this! Will send you a request
  • BEASTFIELD314
    BEASTFIELD314 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had your AHA Moment - the moment you realize you need to make changes... Use this moment to help define and shape your future self - use it is fuel and motivation - be happy knowing that this "mis-step" is the "first-step" in the direction towards a healthier you. You can do it. Every time you start to want to give up - think about that step and tell yourself "not again!" You've got this!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @melissa2013m

I caution you not to overcompensate for how you are feeling. I would often do that after an incident and try to almost punish myself for gaining weight. It ALWAYS ended in my failing and gaining it all back and usually more.
    [...]
    I encourage you to be really kind to yourself. Try to be as happy as possible each day. Do not restrict any food that you can safely moderate. Try not to worry about the amount of weight you have in front of you. Live as normally as you can and adjust as needed. Worry less about the scale numbers and focus on the amazing NSVs you will experience along the way. Your first one is probably only a few pounds away. If you do this time will FLY by and before you know it all of those fractions of pounds will have added up to MAJOR changes.

This is really important. Embarassment can be a good 'deciding moment' to get you started, but long-term I would encourage you to focus on positive emotions (for example being proud of achieving NSVs, non-scale victories) and looking towards a better future, and not getting too caught up in the past and the negative emotions they evoke (embarassment, guilt,...).

I sometimes feel angry at myself for not starting my own weight loss journey sooner, but I try to not dwell on that. I feel much better when I focus on everything I'm doing and have done so far to reach my goals and improve my health. And that journey has not been perfect, but perfection is not required, just being consistent and 'good enough'.
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We're right there with you! Just don't let this incident keep you out of other pools this summer. It's so awesome to be in the cool water.