How have I gained almost a kg in a week?!

Options
I'm tracking 1200 cals (weighing EVERYTHING) and I've been really good with it.
I exercise every day, even if sometimes it's just a walk to get my 10k steps.
First 3 weeks was going great, lost pretty much 1kg a week. Today I weight myself and I've GAINED a kg. How can this be?
I had some chinese over the weekend for the 1st time in ages, but I made sure I had saved up calories to have it.
I'm really demoralised over it...

And regarding the 1200, I know it's the lowest limit but generally that's been enough for me to keep me satisfied and not hungry. I generally get 700 ish exercise calories a day added to that anyway, so my total cals is more like 1900.

Please tell me a temporary gain is normal and next week it'll go back to going down...

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Yes. It’s temporary. It’s just water, probably from the sodium in the Chinese food. However, this is a perfectly normal fluctuation. You can expect your weight to vary by a kilo or three from day to day. This can be triggered by salt intact, exercise, hormones, and a myriad of other things. I recommend using a weight tracking app such as Happy Scale, which will show your weight trend over time. It irons out the ups and downs to show your true weight trend.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Salty rice! All the salty rice. Carry on, wait it out and it will drop again (takes me two days for the bloat to go).
    Whenever you panic about gain, point out to yourself that logically, its not a true gain of a kg of a unless you know you somehow unknowingly ate 7000+ calories extra above your maintenance calories over the week. Did you? If not, assume its normal fluctuations from food volume, water weight, hormones, muscle recovery.
  • lilspider
    lilspider Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! This is what I needed to hear <3
    And, no I've not eaten 7000 cals extra LOL (Maybe in my dreams....)
    I know I have been good (except the Chinese!!!) so yes it makes sense it is just water building up.
    I'll weigh again in few days.