Savoury soft / liquid recipes needed

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
edited June 2020 in Food and Nutrition
I had oral surgery and need for a few days to eat cold soft food (either liquid or smooth, without any bits and pieces).
The obvious answers are milk, yoghurt, ice cream, jello, but I think I will go crazy if I cannot eat anything that does not look like dessert.
The idea of cold pureed potatoes sounds disgusting and most soups I can think of do not sound that nice cold, but I admit that soup is more of a winter food for me, so it could be that I only am used to recipes that are best eaten really hot.
Any ideas?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Cold soup just screams gazpacho to me, might be worth a Google search (although I can't say I like it myself).

Is soft bread an option? Soft bread with soft spreads might be an idea: hummus or other vegetable spreads for example. Or I make my own smoked salmon mousse (smoked salmon, soft goats cheese and some cream and seasoning) and ham mousse (just ham, some cream and seasoning - usually as an appetizer on toast, but it could be spread on bread, or even just eaten as is.
    Ratatouille can be quite soft too if stewed long enough, and might still be nice cold if seasoned enough.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Best of recovery to you. How about grain-based porridge? Savoury oatmeal can be for dinner! Same idea with cornmeal or barley porridges
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Japanese savoury egg custard.
    https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/185-chawanmushi-steamed-savoury-egg-custard
    Also miso soup with silken tofu. Leave out all the hard bits like spring onions.
    Avgolemono soup but skip the chicken that some recipes call for. In it's most basic form it's chicken broth, lemon juice, rice cooked to a pulp, thickened with egg.
    Saffron risotto which you might want to overcook a little.
    Chinese congee flavoured with soy and sesame oil.
    Pureed soups such as leek and potato soup,
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry. Didn't notice that everything needed to be cold as well.
    Silken tofu flavoured with soy sauce and sesame oil.
    Vicyhyssoise (cold leek and potato soup).
    Ajo blanco but puree the grapes or apples into the soup that recipes call to leave solid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Huh, when my brother had oral surgery, and for other threads I've seen on the topic, there was no requirement that foods be cold. Maybe double check with your doctor? If foods can be room temp or luke warm, you have a lot more options.

My mother just made him a lot of soups/stews and pureed them in the blender.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I am also questioning the cold. I had bad ulcers on my tongue and would cook up some non-acidic vegetables and puree them with chick peas. Things like onion, garlic, zucchini, and celery in a little olive oil. I would warm it up, but only warm, as heat would also hurt. I guess on that note, you could try hummus...I also ate ice cream, drank tea, and chocolate milk was ok.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I had a slipped cartilige disc in my jaw, years ago, and had no choice but to eat soft food as I couldn't bite down on anything. Thankfully I wasn't restricted to only cold options though. Well cooked pasta is pretty soft and can be cooked with chopped tomatoes, very finely chopped veg such as courgette and some herbs. You could even melt some cheese in to it. That would be tasty, even cold.