I need more fiber! suggestions?

Options
i notice upon logging my choices are hi in carb and sometimes sugar. i need more fiber. suggestions greatly appreciated.
thank you

Replies

• Jiggle_all_the_way
    Jiggle_all_the_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Vegetables.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Beans, avocados, whole wheat rice/pasta/bread, barley, broccoli (or any vegetables for that matter), almonds
  • sarashiveley
    sarashiveley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    veggies, chia seeds, flax seeds! try to go all natural!
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I really like Healthy Choice Fudge bars. They're low in sugar and carbs but have 5 grams of fiber. I love them as a snack or dessert. I also like Fiber One brownies and chewy bars.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Eat more beans, avocados. I find it easy to get fiber with those.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Benifiber.
  • apf2013
    apf2013 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Luna fiber bars.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I really like the Luna fiber bars. They have 7g of fiber and are like a dessert for me.
  • minipads
    Options
    I love taking a Ziploc bag of Cracking Oat Bran to work with me to snack on, granted it is 400 calories worth! But I spread it out throughout the day when I get hungry and it really fills me up. I think I end up having two servings which is like 70% RDA for fiber.

I need to work on getting it through veggies and such but it's a start! It's really yummy too, IMO, not a 'gross' bran cereal. It cures my sweet tooth too because it tastes cinnamon-y and sweet. I think there's a recipe on the box on how to add some ingredients like dried fruit to make a granola-type mix.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oats Maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Legumes, Pears, Apples, Ground Flax seeds cooked into certain food (i.e. Ground beef)

Eat more whole wheat products and you will have your daily fiber in no time.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and fruit. I don't worry much about the sugar as long as most of it comes from fruit, but I need lots of fiber due to some digestive problems I have. Sometimes, if I'm not getting enough I'll supplement it with a natural fiber laxative (psyllium husk is usually the main ingredient), but usually I like to get it through my food.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    My current fiber target is 40g/day, worked up slowly from 25g/day. I go with natural sources first, apples/pears are 5g/each, black beans, etc. When I need a quick boost or a last minute boost, I go with clear fiber powder (Sam's Club brand) or Fiber One chewy bars, both are 9g each. When feasible, I try to spread out my fiber intake into at least 3 meals/snacks with no more than 20g per intake. I found that doing that minimizes bloating/gas.

*ETA: I buy big bags of natural almonds (e.g. no sodium or added flavors) from Sam's Club that also provide 5g/serving (1 oz). The also provide 5g of protein and I usually eat 2 servings per day.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies, apples, pears, Fiber One cereals/bars, whole grain breads. All great sources!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do lots of veggies, fiber one cereals and 100 calorie english muffins, black beans... A lot of times I like to eat those enriched pastas that have extra protein and/or fiber in them. :)

Good luck!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I make hemp protein shakes almost everyday and throw in berries, chia and flax seeds in it. Let's just say I'm very, very regular. lol
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Raspberries, veggies, chia seeds, whole grains, Kashi Go Lean.... Just be careful to increase your fiber in increments to allow your body time to adjust. Otherwise, unpleasant things can happen!!! :)
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Raspberries, veggies, chia seeds, whole grains, Kashi Go Lean.... Just be careful to increase your fiber in increments to allow your body time to adjust. Otherwise, unpleasant things can happen!!! :)

Oh and beans....and....the list goes on.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    We're eating more Indian food, rather than Americna style food with a ton of sugar in the sauces.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    What is your fiber intake? Why do you think you need more fiber?