Takeaways/eating out

Options
lrafferty101
lrafferty101 Posts: 4 Member
What’s the best way of tracking calories or not overdoing calories when eating out of restaurants that don’t display calorie counts for their dishes?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Choosing low carb, high protein meal options, and taking a portion of it home in a "doggy bag." Also avoiding alcohol (especially mixed drinks) if you're into that sort of thing.

If I'm really unsure and/or lazy, I might consider logging an indulgent meal (takeaway, eat out, or homemade recipe that wasn't inputted as an MFP "Recipe" in advance) at 2x daily calorie goal using the "Quick Add" function.

Or...or...you could choose to "refeed" on that day based on any extra calories MFP says you have accumulated based on your consistent exercise and accurate logging over the previous 7 days or so (check for "Net Calories Under Weekly Goal" in the Calories tab once you have chosen "Week View" in the app).

Let's see how others do it!

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I agree.
    If possible, order something without sauce. Baked or roasted protein. Low cal veggies. Salad with no dressing or dressing on the side. Try to guess serving sizes and eat a reasonable amount, it’s not necessary to clean your plate.
    Look up similar dishes at similar restaurants for an educated guess.
    And enjoy your meal!
  • lrafferty101
    lrafferty101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Where do I find the weekly view on the app?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    The following has been stolen from @paulkilroy's 2017 discussion "Nutrition Chart - Net Calories" The gratuitous green arrow is my addition. Wherever you are, Paul, we present-day MFPers thank you.

brnn68xu5usv.jpg