Alcoholism

dwkd12
dwkd12 Posts: 2 Member
I’m not even going to bother giving you guys a novel to read about my struggle. Any advice on cutting back or just booting alcohol out of my life for now. I have a huge weight loss goal to reach 😩

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Have you considered talking to a support person, or attending an AA meeting?
  • RhodeRad
    RhodeRad Posts: 8 Member
    Lots of seltzer water. I'm a big beer drinker and I found the act of holding the can while hanging out with people was almost as important as the beer.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    I hear you. If I eliminated alcohol from my life I would definitely lose the weight- my problem is not with food. But....easier said than done. I wouldn't label myself an alcoholic, but I've developed a bad habit of a couple (or more, let's be honest) glasses of wine every evening.

My advice- and please note this is only MY experience and everyone has a different struggle See if you can find a friend for support. Someone who understands your problem and can be accountable to. The best plan of course is to quit drinking completely and if you can do that- I give you a ton of credit. If not, then baby steps. First, limit your drinking. Measure out the alcohol you are drinking and count the calories just like you do food. It helps if you can write down your daily menu the day before and work in "two vodka and sodas" or "two 5 oz glasses of red wine", etc. I did that in the beginning and it helps a lot. I do have a day occasionally where I over do it, so the next day I pick myself up and hit the reboot button.

I now continue to measure, but also, two days a week I call my "sober" days. It helps if you can do the same two days a week, but if not that's ok. On these days I don't drink at all-- hey, more calories for yummy food! yay. The next morning (like right now I should add) I feel great- no headache, well rested, and most important- very proud of myself. Good luck, Feel free to private message me.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    The first step us acknowledgment of the problem so go you!

There's a reason that groups and centres exist. It's a hard demon to slay by yourself. I would certainly find a group to help you along the road. Also if you can getting to the bottom of some of those problems that lead to drinking can help. I'm so lucky that I've never had to deal with it myself but I wish you the best - you've got this.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    There's two good threads here on drinkin less, we'd love for you to join us💗
  • kshengst
    kshengst Posts: 10 Member
    I initially started out measuring my alcohol and ensuring it fit within my caloric intake. I could tell you exactly how many shots of gin (or tequila or whiskey) I could have to fit into my goals. But then, I realized I was foregoing food to allow more drinks to fit into my plan. Or, I would excercise simply to allow myself those extra calories...while still limiting the food. I was one of those that finally had the hangover of all hangovers. After three days (and very possibly a bit of alcohol poisoning) of pain and an overall feeling of being braindead, I finally just stopped. It has not been very long as of yet. About a month. I have an app that allows me to track how much money I have saved, how my system is recovering, among other markers. The money saved has been an eye opener.

I agree with RhodeRad, sparkling water is a lifesafer. I mean, hotwing Saturday is not the same with a bottle of plain water! I need something carbonated.

My biggest issue has been avoiding sweets. Without the alcohol, that first week made a craving for candy that I have never had outside the few days a month my uterus gives me the finger.

I am not picking forever. I don't do well with absolutes. I am picking short term goals. First it was a week. Then a month. And now I am working towards three months. I had to admit to myself that I found an excuse for every drink. Our anniversary, my husbands birthday, a promotion, a bad day at work, a good day at work, a State holiday, a Federal holiday, the freakin sky is blue. So I don't do excuses, and instead just work towards those small goals.

My skin looks better. I don't feel hungover or braindead. I am pushing myself in workouts more than I ever had before. We adopted a dog, and having to ensure that the 70lb monster doesn't have an accident is a "sobering experience" in itself.

My point is, each of us deal with the experience differently. Groups work for some people. The support of friends works for others. Stopping forever and never looking back works for certain individuals as well. I personally, don't like telling people these types of things. I don't like the questions or comments or thinking of failing anyone but myself. And this is ALL in my head, my friends would be the most supportive people ever, but its not a process I appreciate. I like numbers, so I like seeing how much I save. I like seeing how many calories I can burn. I like seeing how much weight I can now lift or how many miles I can now run. (Save = alot, calories burned = more than before, weight = still a wimpy baby but no longer afraid of dropping the dumbell on my hungover head, miles run = pshaw, worst jogger known to mankind)

GOOD LUCK! (sorry for the novel!)
  • jasmith8701
    jasmith8701 Posts: 1 Member
    I've started drinking hibiscus tea, which is tart and takes a little getting used to, but now I love it and it curbs my craving for a glass of wine. Also sparkling water with a fresh lemon slice w/ the peel. Mint tea is also great, I brew loose leaf mint tea, which you can get cheap online, in a big french press (the kind used for coffee) in the fridge overnight. You just press the pot to filter the tea leaves out. The key is to not add sugar, so if you like strong-tasting drinks like I do, these are great subs for alcohol.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Here are the threads @whitpauly is referring to:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10688061/the-sober-squad-alcohol-free-living/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10798277/less-alcohol-june-2020-one-day-at-a-time#latest

The second one linked begins with a number of member generated notes about dealing with alcohol as well as many links. It would be a good idea to review that information. Whether or not you will need assistance from medical staff and/or an organization is really only a question you can answer.
  • feredsas
    feredsas Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Try to occupy yourself with something else. You can start practicing a certain sport, or start a hoppy. This can help. Still, if your situation is critical, I recommend you consult a therapist. He can give you a helpful therapy course. I know many people who also struggled because of alcohol, and they could quit. So I'm sure you will also be able to do that. By the way, you can find some ideas on what to do after dry January on the internet. Those tips and pieces of advice will also be helpful for you.