weighing frozen vegetables

Options
Usually for frozen vegetables I just put down whatever the package said the serving size as I'm usually eating the whole bag and its not a high calorie count anyway. This has worked fine for me up till now, and since I still have a lot to lose, will probably be fine for a while yet, but I also am aware that as I get down in size my logging is going to have to tighten up, so I figure I really should start practicing now.

With that said, is the weight for a serving of frozen vegetables applied to when they are frozen or when they are cooked?

And related to that: the serving for a canned vegetable - does that serving data include the liquid that the item is canned in, or just the item itself? I would think that if I'm weighing just the product after draining the can but the calorie information is assuming the liquid is there, that the count might be inaccurately low since the liquid would provide weight but not the same amount of calories as the product alone at that weight would have.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Weigh frozen veggies still frozen.

I assume canned veggies includes liquid. That would be an easy one to test. Weigh the whole thing, with liquid, and see how it compares to the stated weight. Do this by looking at the serving size times the number of servings in a can, rather than the weight at the front of the can.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I believe US labels: refer to the contents as they are in the package. So frozen veggies if the bag says it should be 125g that would be the weight frozen. I'll sometimes test this by weighing the contents (just out of the box/bag/etc.) and compare to the label. They're normally close. Like dry pasta this past weekend was 466g in the box and the label indicated 454g contents.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I weigh frozen vegetables in their frozen state.

I weigh the canned solids I'm eating and log that amount. I don't weigh the liquid.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    In the UK many (?most) cans will state whether the nutrition data is for drained or undrained contents. Same with say, tinned fish.
    Obviously for stuff in a sauce, like baked beans, they assume you’re eating everything in the can.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Cans / tins usually state drained or contents.

Most of the times when it was not stated, and I measured using the grams per portion/portions in can method, it was obviously the undrained value that applied to the calories.

Once I was caught on the opposite trap with tuna in oil. That one was drained and the extra uncounted 120 Cal of oil an accounting issue!!!

Veggies are frozen and you dump them in the microwavable bowl to weigh :wink:

Most bags contain multiple 85g servings....