If everyone says I look good,

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
does that mean I should stop trying to lose weight? I have people tell me I don't look like I need to lose more weight. I guess if I don't lose a lot more weight but firm up, I'll be okay. However, that stupid BMI says I'm still overweight.

Replies

• HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    BMI is a generic tool for weight loss. Please dont rely on it as a goal. I am 193 lbs and it says I am obese even though I am at around 12-13% bodyfat. I get this alot too actually, people say I look too skinny now etc. Bottomline is this- I am happy with seeing my abs again, I try to maintain my current weight and still have fun working out and challenging myself. Dont look at their remarks as a negative, it means your hard work is paying off!
  • hispanicangel
    Options
    Amy you look great it really depends on you and what docots say i had the same problem but i am 10 pd lighter now and i have more energy and and more happier and healthier! add me as a friend if youd like take care
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I here that too sometimes. It makes me feel good and proud, BUT I know I can be a little better. I have a goal and I mean to reach it!!! GREAT job on 92 pounds lost, that really is wonderful!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Do this for you. Don't do this for other people. If you still feel like you want to lose weight and you're not in the healthy range, go for it. Keep going! Once you reach your goal weight, you can work on toning up so you look toned and shapely.
  • KatalynasMommy
    KatalynasMommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get told that alot also!!! I'm don't sure I think the BMI is off because it don't know your bone mass and I don't think any of us has the same bone mass. I think u should go by how u feel if u start felling week at a weight I would not lose anymore. Myself I'm at 169 I'm going to try for 10 more pounds but if I don't lose 10 more I will be happy with where I'm at. The BMI says I should weight 111 to 150 but I don't think I would look good at that weight so I'm just going by how I feel. I was told by a doctor in Mexico I should weight around 158 so I think that's what I'm going for.

ADD ME IF U WANT ANOTHER FRIEND!!!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    You can't always rely on bmi. Its for the average person who doesn't exercise much. My brothers bmi says he is obese but he is constantly active and training so its not meant for him to use.
    You should do whatever you feel is best for yourself and what you feel good with. :) If you feel good with how you are now, then just work on toning and get your exercise.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat. My husband has told me for a while I'm "perfect" the way I am, and when I first started losing he was almost frantic that I'd lose too much, afraid I'd lose my, uh, curves.

I'm in the plateau from hell, so it's rather moot-- but, all I can say to you is, like others said, do what works for you. If you're obsessing and making the lives of your family hell, maybe you've lost enough and you need to find happiness in your current weight and just work on "health" and fitness and all that jazz.

I don't know which "others" you speak of-- co-workers? Neighbors? Relatives?

The only ones I'd listen to are your husband and children. Nobody else's opinion would matter, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    by the way, you look awesome--