Daily calories and excersize

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Maybe change your expectations? How much more do you have to lose? What are your height and weight now?

I halft to loose another 2 stone I have loads of fat on my stomach not so much the legs or arms anymore but a decent amount of fat on the stomach and it will take about another 2 stone so am 10 stone 3 right now started from 12,11 and I need to get to about 8,1 or too be honest whenever the fat comes off my stomach and I'm small I'm 5ft

I think that's only about 143 pounds? You don't weigh that much, the weight isn't going to fall off quickly.

I'm not expecting it to fall off quickly 🤦‍♀️ I said it's going slow 2lb a month is not that much on my estimates its 2lb a week from my daily calories, I understand it won't fall of quickly I just want to loose more than just 2lb a month but thanks for the input anyway

2 pounds a month isn't slow for your current weight. Can you explain how you expect to lose two pounds a week? That would be a huge deficit and it doesn't sound like you're doing enough exercise to create that and eat enough (nor should that be your goal). That would require a deficit of 1,000 calories a day. What do you figure that your current deficit is?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm about an inch taller than you and started out a little heavier than you are now. I was also eating 1200 calories a day (plus exercise cals). I've lost just under 3 stone - but it took me just over two years to do it. That's probably not what you want to hear but it's quite normal.

At your current weight, if you were to change your MFP setting to Maintenance, you'll probably find that your calories will be around 1450 a day. To lose 0.5lb a week requires a 250 calorie deficit; a deficit of 500 will see you losing 1lb a week and so on. BUT, no matter what weight loss rate you select, MFP will not let you go below 1200 calories a day. Therefore, you can't actually get more than a deficit of 250, therefore you won't lose any faster than 0.5lb a week - which is roughly how fast you're losing. The only way you can lose faster is to have a greater deficit and that really isn't a good idea as you run the risk of serious, long-term damage to your health.

As your weight goes down, the number of calories required to maintain that weight also goes down. And then your deficit gets smaller, so the rate at which you will lose the last couple of stone is going to be very slow.

I switched to Maintenance just as we went in to lockdown in March. I now get 1340 calories a day. Whoopee. However, that just highlighted that, for the last couple of pounds that I lost, I was working to a deficit of just 140 - so it's no great surprise that it took 4 months. It also required strict measuring and weighing of everything as it wouldn't take much to wipe out that small deficit.

It seems that what you're doing is working as expected according to the maths. So, instead of trying to lose faster or getting frustrated that you're not losing 1-2lb a week, focus on continuing as you have been - and look at the fact that you've already lost 2 stone so are a long way on from where you were.

And to answer your specific question - yes I ate (and still eat) my exercise calories.
  • ashley_mullo155
    ashley_mullo155 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    when they calculated my daily calories to 1,200 a day it says loose 2lbs a week so I just thought that's what I should be loosing so thought I was not doing it right and being slower than everyone else
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    when they calculated my daily calories to 1,200 a day it says loose 2lbs a week so I just thought that's what I should be loosing so thought I was not doing it right and being slower than everyone else

It's telling you 1200 because you have selected too aggressive of a goal and that's the lowest that it will show you.

Select an appropriate weight loss goal per week and see what mfp gives you for calories

I'll just put this here again......

utu4u5pfkyhv.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

When you sign up for mfp, you get to choose how much you want to lose a week. So 1/2 lb, 1 lb, 1.5 lbs or 2 lbs. Or stones for you brits. :) Most would choose 2 lbs) just because they want it to come off faster but it's really the users responsibility to know or learn what's healthy and what's not. (I can't remember if mfp recommends certain rates of loss when signing up but I doubt it.)

You also have to remember that weight loss isn't linear and a whole bunch of things will interfere with losing the EXACT amount of weight per week you're going for.

Honestly, just to stay sane, I would take the win if I lost anything or even maintained because...at least I hadn't gained.

AND to actually answer your first initial question, I ate every last calorie I could get my hands on if I earned it.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Maybe change your expectations? How much more do you have to lose? What are your height and weight now?

I halft to loose another 2 stone I have loads of fat on my stomach not so much the legs or arms anymore but a decent amount of fat on the stomach and it will take about another 2 stone so am 10 stone 3 right now started from 12,11 and I need to get to about 8,1 or too be honest whenever the fat comes off my stomach and I'm small I'm 5ft

I think that's only about 143 pounds? You don't weigh that much, the weight isn't going to fall off quickly.

I'm not expecting it to fall off quickly 🤦‍♀️ I said it's going slow 2lb a month is not that much on my estimates its 2lb a week from my daily calories, I understand it won't fall of quickly I just want to loose more than just 2lb a month but thanks for the input anyway

I'm sorry, but 2lbs per week IS fast and only possible and recommended for people who are very obese. To lose 2lbs per week you'd need a deficit of 1000 calories per day, every day. Eating less than 1200 net calories per day is unhealthy, and I bet a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day would bring you way below 1200 calories.
  • ashley_mullo155
    Options
    Thankyou ive just changed my rate to 0.5lb a week and it's now give me 1,450 a day maybe this be better for me because the 1,200 seemed to stress me so much constantly thinking about how many calories I have left to eat more because I'm hungry lol but least now I have a little more so won't be as hard on me Thankyou
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
    Options
    Thankyou ive just changed my rate to 0.5lb a week and it's now give me 1,450 a day maybe this be better for me because the 1,200 seemed to stress me so much constantly thinking about how many calories I have left to eat more because I'm hungry lol but least now I have a little more so won't be as hard on me Thankyou

Ok! So basically your maintenance calories are currently at around 1700 calories, as a deficit of 0.5lbs per week is 250 calories less per day. Thus a 2lbs per week loss (1000 calories less per day) would bring you down to 700 calories per day. Not realistic, right? You got it <3
  • ashley_mullo155
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Ok! So basically your maintenance calories are currently at around 1700 calories, as a deficit of 0.5lbs per week is 250 calories less per day. Thus a 2lbs per week loss (1000 calories less per day) would bring you down to 700 calories per day. Not realistic, right? You got it <3

Thankyou so much and I honestly don't have a clue what any of that means lol is that a good thing I'm on 1,480 a day now
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    To stay at the weight you are, right now, you'd need to eat 1700 a day. That's your Maintenance number of calories for your current weight. (It will go down as you lose more weight)
    To lose at a rate of 0.5lb a week, you take 250 calories a day off your Maintenance number.
    That's what MFP has done for you, and is why it has now given you 1450 a day. (1700-250 =1450)

You'd deduct 1000 calories a day from your Maintenance number to lose 2lb a week. But 1700-1000 =700 calories and that's below the threshold, so MFP was setting you to 1200 which is the minimum recommended number for females. Unfortunately, when short, non-obese people select 2lb a week, the MFP set-up screen doesn't say "That's too aggressive and we can't let you do that".

Just remember that you still need to log your exercise and eat at least some of those exercise calories in addition to the 1450. That's how MFP is designed. If you're doing an hour of exercise a day, you are not burning zero calories doing so and you need to fuel that.

However, you were losing at 0.5lb a week before, so I'd say you're right when you initially said that your exercise calories are possibly being overstated. Eat half of your exercise calories but make sure you're logging everything that you eat or drink, very carefully. Then see how you're doing in 6 weeks time.

Keep reminding yourself that you've already lost 2 stone, so you're doing well.