Would it be "wise"...

Options
...to take a week off from exercising. I will be on vacation next week. I just completed the INSANITY program. Actually I am doing an additional week of INSANITY this week because I didn't want to start a new program before leaving for vacation. When I return from vacation, I will be starting the Focus T25 program. Much of the activities we will be doing on vacation will involve walking (theme parks, zoo, tour, etc), so I won't be completely sedentary.

I have NEVER taken a whole week off...the most I have ever done is 1 rest day per week. I will have access to some sort of gym (whatever the hotel offers) for 5 of the 6 days we are there. I don't want to undo everything that I've done by not working out, however I want to enjoy myself and not force myself to have to get up early each morning to get a workout in. I get up early 6 days a week to get my workouts in without a problem, but the thought of having to do that during vacation is just dreadful. However, I know my eating will be worse because we'll be eating out a lot.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt you to have a "deload" week, especially if you'll be otherwise active. You might not lose, you could gain (you'll most likely see an upswing on the scale, whether it's "real" weight or not, just from not so awesome eating habits), but it won't be the end of the world. Perhaps plan to try to get in 2 additional workouts, see how you feel and go from there. You can always just add in some squats or lunges or crunches at the end of the day before bed or do squats or calf raises while waiting in line at the theme park!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You can't undo all of your progress in a week, even if you tried.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You certainly have my permission. Enjoy your vacation!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd decide when I get there. I always say I am going to exercise on vacation and never do, but I always pack my workout clothes. If you are going to be active then just enjoy yourself and be prepared for possible* consequences which will probably be a little water weight and the first day of T25 may suck a little more but then you'll be back in it within a few days.

I ran once on my vacation last week and that was only because it was too gorgeous to not run in CA, the rest of the time I was eating, drinking and laying by a pool.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation. If you're like most people, you'll be a lot more active while you're gone, anyway.

Even leaving the physical side out of it, I mentally need a break from exercise every so often, beyond just a rest day.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I take a week off here and there all the time.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a week off right now, nothing wrong with that :)

Enjoy your vacation :drinker:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation Saturday. Didn't exercise a bit, ate and drank whatever I wanted, came back a pound lighter. Don't know how THAT happened, but I'll take it. So no, it won't hurt you to take a week off.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    Take the break. You'll be getting in exercise with the walking. I think it does the body good to change things up once in a while. It may make the exercise even more effective when you return to it.
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always thought that for a diet/exercise regime to work it had to fit into your life style...so it literally becomes your way of life FOR LIFE. But I've seen those insanity ads...personally I say ienjoy a little break...you surely won't undo all that amazing work...but at the same time use it as an opportunity to rebalance...to find a level of exercise that you want to do for ever. No point getting super fit, reach yourgoal then stop...now that would be such a shame.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I take a full rest week every 4-6 weeks or so to let my body heal and de-stress...it's part of my training regimen and keeps me from over doing it. It's especially helpful in letting those smaller stabilization muscles heal and catch up to the bigger muscles to prevent injury.

If your vacations are anything like mine, it usually means a lot of walking around and seeing what there is to see. I'm usually more generally active on vacation without working out a lick than I am at home where I'm sedentary most of the day at work and most of my movement is working out.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    idk, that's how I put on over 100 pounds..
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I take a week off a few times a year. I'm just coming back after a week off right now actually.

It does the body good!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I take a few rest weeks every year. After a certain age, it's good to let your muscles relax a little. I also make every 3rd or 4th week a less intense week, for the same reason. No injuries so far in the last couple years (other than a bike crash, but that wasn't an overuse injury).
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

This.

ETA: I took about two weeks off from intense exercise after I completed Insanity (mostly walked and did shorter workouts). I ended up losing another four pounds. Insanity is very tough on your body, so enjoy your vacation! Then plan your next program for when you return.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

This.

ETA: I took about two weeks off from intense exercise after I completed Insanity (mostly walked and did shorter workouts). I ended up losing another four pounds. Insanity is very tough on your body, so enjoy your vacation! Then plan your next program for when you return.

Unfortunately, I didn't really have any results from INSANITY. I didn't lose weight or inches really. Quite disheartening, which is why I'm nervous about taking time off.