UK Chip Shop - What to have ?

Options
smessom32
smessom32 Posts: 126 Member
When you go to the Chip Shop what do you have to stay within your Daily Calorie Goal ?

Looking for ideas

Replies

• Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately chip shops are off bounds for me. Although I like pickled onions they sell 😏
  • smessom32
    Options
    I know, I am thinking they should be off bounds for me too. :-(
    but the family like to go and I am just trying to work out what the best option would be so I can kinda join the fun.

Don't want to break the good work I have put in so far this week but don't want to tell the kids they can't go because I am dieting....
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can see your problem there. Your kids shouldn't have too go without a treat. If you're only going ones in a while why don't you just enjoy the treat also. Perhaps just eat smaller portions. If you have been doing well in your weight loss, you already have a handle on this, well done. I'm sure you'll make the right decision. Enjoy your day out with the family.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Fish and chips - I share that with hubby because portions are inclined to be big and leaves that meal around 700 cals for me
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Found this great similar thread from 2014! Has good ideas. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10032342/healthy-option-fish-and-chip-shop
  • smessom32
    Options

Thankyou

I am thinking Fish without Batter (or just take batter off) and Peas.

....Maybe Grab a Chip or 2 from the kids :smiley:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    In the 1900s the way to eat fish and chips was to scrape off the batter from the fish. It was just seen as a means or protecting the fish while frying. I would maybe have a piece of fish with the batter scraped off.
  • wanderwoman2020
    wanderwoman2020 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of diet you stick to?
    If it’s calories then depends on how many you have to spare.
    I will enjoy a full portion of fish and chips then eat a salad type meal if I’m low on calories
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Budget for it, have what you like. Reasonable portion size. Log it and continue on plan.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Alternatively if you had a weekly calorie goal you could fit treats and family fun meals in far easier.

Or if your "chish & fips" supper fell on a day you did a lot of exercise you would have a higher calorie allowance.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have fish and chips occasionally.
    I save calories and put towards a treat each week.
    I'm eating the battered fish and chips and enjoying them guilt free🤤

PS, this week's treat was burger and chips.. 😃

Also.. losing weight does not have to be an exercise in deprivation and denial.
    Food is meant to be enjoyed.
    All the things you like can be fitted into your diet in some way, you might need to exercise a little more that day or save calories all week or eat lighter at lunch to have a bigger dinner...it can be done.
    🙂
  • huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm having fish and chips tonight! I've planned for it by having a slightly smaller breakfast and lunch.

The plan is to share a small portion of chips and eat the fish with the batter as served. It fits within my calories for the day so it's not a problem.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    There'd be nothing in my dinner goal calories that I'd bother with tbh, I'd get to eat so little of it.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Proper fish and chips is amazing! If there were a chip shop (that was any good) open near me, I’d probably be eating once a fortnight.
    You just have to plan a bit in order to make it fit. Standard fish and chips is about 1000-1100.If you “Rob” 100 cal per day from the preceding few days, it really isn’t hard even with a 1900 TDEE (like mine at 5,’5”, 60kg, 42 yo and female - I’ll bet yours is considerably higher!)
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    smessom32 wrote: »

Thankyou

I am thinking Fish without Batter (or just take batter off) and Peas.

....Maybe Grab a Chip or 2 from the kids :smiley:

I prefer fish without the batter so have never really eaten the batter - it's really nice.

However as others have said if you enjoy it and want to eat it you can still fit it in. Its all about portion sizes. A small portion of chips is plenty for me, husband and toddler too eat so I always find it mad that I used to eat a whole portion to myself. If you don't have as many calories left you could cut the fish in half or get a kids meal - they're smaller.