Weight loss rate doesn't make sense

Options
I'm a bit confused by the rate at which I'm losing weight.

My food deficit isn't that high. At greatest it was 600 calories according to MFP when I was on 2000 calories. I have been slowly increasing, so now its 2300 and a deficit of 250 at my current weight.

However, my rate of weight loss is still pretty high, and does not appear to be slowing. In fact, over the past few days it has accelerated. I lost 2.3kg over the past week, and Libra suggests this means I'm on a deficit of more than 1800.

I'm doing a fair amount of exercise, but there's no way I'm burning 1800 calories through exercise. MFP estimates between 500 and 900 exercise calories most days.

I'm very confused by whats going on. I guess I should be glad, except that weight loss that is in any way "unexplained" is always said to be worrying medically, and it makes no sense that it would be accelerating after I increase my calories.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't just measure the weight of your fat, it measures the weight of everything in there. Large weight swings up or down over a short period of time, like a week, is most likely water weight.

You measure fat loss by looking at the trend over multiple weeks and months.

If you're talking about more than a week or two...

How much time are you talking about and how much weight have you lost? What is your height and weight? What ever use are you doing and has it changed at all over this time period?
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My height is 1.87m. My weight is 101.2kg. My rate of loss since mid-May has been 1.8kg per week according to Libra, but 2.3kg in the last week. I have been trying to slow it down by gradually increasing calories, but not succeeding so far.
  • sofrances
    Options
    In terms of water weight, I haven't been cutting carbs recently or anything like that. My macros are usually 18-25% protein, and then a more or less even split between carbs and fat, although I try to keep saturated fat under RDA.
  • sofrances
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I certainly hope that its the app underestimating in my case - although I'm fairly content with the amount I'm eating at the moment, to be honest.

The only thing that has changed recently is that I have shifted most of my serious exercise to the morning. I don't know if that could make a difference though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    sofrances wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 I certainly hope that its the app underestimating in my case - although I'm fairly content with the amount I'm eating at the moment, to be honest.

The only thing that has changed recently is that I have shifted most of my serious exercise to the morning. I don't know if that could make a difference though.

AFAIK, if shifting exercise to morning has an effect, it would be in how it affects your energy level during the exercise or for the balance of the day (possibly in subtle but still material ways, or possibly even noticeable to you).

For one, if you feel more energetic in the morning, you may unconsciously bring a little more intensity into your exercise, and burn a few extra calories via intensity. (Based on experience, I wouldn't necessarily expect heart rate to clearly reflect that difference, so I wouldn't expect a fitness tracker/HRM to register it. I know that I can do the same (power-metered) exercise, but get higher average-watts output at quite similar heart rates, and my tracker estimates similar calories, but the watt-based estimate differs more. It's not a huge difference, but it's a difference.).

Another true fact is that when I wake up, I'm like a slug in a fog for a few hours, not moving much, basically down-regulated. It's conceivable to me that if I exercise in the morning, the elevated heart rate and increased blood flow might lead to me being a little more energetic earlier in the day, or even through the day. On the flip side, exercise at night might interfere (again, perhaps only subtly) with my sleep, so leave me still yet more sluggish the next morning, to the detriment of daily life activity level and base physical processes, in ways that affect all-day calorie expenditure.

My exercise schedule has never been patterned enough for me to observe whether those speculations have any material effect for me or not, when it comes to unconscious calorie expenditure, or the accuracy of exercise calorie estimates, over a reasonable span of weeks. I'm not aware - perhaps someone else is - of well-conducted studies suggesting that exercise itself inherently has a different calorie expenditure - outside of intensity variations - based on time of day.

ETA: For clarity, if there are any effects along the above lines, I don't mean to be encouraging people to pursue them intentionally. I think that would be majoring in the minors, possibly an individualized thing even if true, and not big enough to deliberately focused on (probably there are other bigger fish to fry, for most people, to improve health, fitness, or weight loss).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    It's also a fact that you've been at this long enough to be getting good at your calorie tracking.

I'm also one for whom MFP and every other calorie estimators is WAY off, and I eat a full 400-500 calories per day more than they tell me to eat for my stats.

So, to thine own self be true. Track as accurately as you feel you can and eat according to your long-term results.

And have a cookie if you want. :wink:
  • sofrances
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I guess the other question is how accurate your calorie logging is - we always ask that of 'I'm not losing as expected' threads as peoples estimates can mean they are eating more than they think.
    Is possible in reverse too - ie if your logging is a lot of estimates, you could be under estimating and be eating less than you think.

I certainly try to be accurate. I use food scales rather than eye-balling, and for food that changes weight when cooking (e.g. rice, steamed veg) I weight both before and after cooking (at least, when the calories are given in uncooked weight).

• sofrances
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77, @cmriverside, @paperpudding, @kimny72 for your reassurances. I'll not panic yet, and I'll put the calories up 50-100 in a few days or a week if the trend continues.