Struggling with binging due to stress...

Options
For the past week, I've been on a crazy binge averaging 3000+ calories a day. My original weight was 230 at 5'5 and the lowest I've been was 142 lbs. My final goal is 130 lbs.

I guess I got pretty frustrated after having maintained 142 lbs for so long and not seeing any progress despite eating 1300 cal/day combined with the stress from my job. I kind of had a "screw it" attitude and ate myself to the point of sickness all week.

I tried doing some damage control today and started counting calories again and exercised. However, tonight, I messed up once again and binged on 2000 calories of sweets. Just stepped on the scale tonight and I weigh 149 lbs which puts me nearly back into the overweight category for BMI. I'm feeling really defeated. I am super scared of erasing all of my progress for the past 2 years.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,828 Member
    Options
    STOP TRYING TO DAMAGE CONTROL
    The way you're trying to by applying a large deficit (especially at a time of stress and making things hard enough to want to give up)

Time for controlled, deliberate, maintenance level eating.

Once you get a grip, without the extra stress of deficit eating.

THEN it is time to realize that there is no goal or end date because you're managing your weight for the long haul. If you want it to nudge down, apply a small deficit!

You've done great. Your biggest enemy is developing an IDGAF attitude because you don't perceive yourself as perfect.

• zeroizme
    zeroizme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stress eating is rough, I feel for you, and previous replies offer good advice on how to manage the results of the recent binge.

Looking toward the future, I think it would be beneficial to focus on creating a stress coping mechanism that won’t perpetuate into further additional stress about weight.

Some options could be taking a walk through a pretty park/neighborhood/countryside while talking with someone you trust about the stress (even if that someone is a dog :smiley: pets are Fantastic stress relief, and great listeners), thanking your body for its hard work getting you through those stressful times by considering all the ways that it has allowed you to endure, putting nervous energy or overwhelming feelings to good use as motivation to exercise, or maybe even preparing a large meal or pan of sweets and giving it away to someone else who is hungry instead (seeing the food as a gift to others and in turn allowing you to show gratitude toward food for the ways that it can nourish people you love).

I’m no expert, just trying to help with any advice I can :smile: