Deficit or maintain?? Pla help ๐Ÿ˜‚

Options
So I'm 5.6,185 pounds. ๐Ÿ˜’ I'm trying to get fit. I've changed my diet and have started working out. Can you all confirm that I should lose weight before I can build muscle? Meaning, my gutt for example, no muscle will show, until I slim down, correct? Also, to lose weight, I need a deficit, to gain muscle I need a surplus. I'm so confused as to where to start. ๐Ÿ˜‚
As for woekouts, I work out 30-45 minutes, six times a week, with body weight and resistance bands.
I'm eating clean now.
Soooooo, should I jist keep going with my deficit, and my muscle workouts until I reach weight goal, and THEN start more heavier weight training? TIA

Replies

• desireeorozco859
    desireeorozco859 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ty:-) OK, so keep doing what I'm doing then, right? I'm going to do about 1800 calories and my thirty minute body weight/resistance work-out almost every day. Whilst eating clean. I just need to figure out my macros, because once I put in, weight loss, I'm not sure it tells me to take enough protein.
  • desireeorozco859
    edited June 2020
    Options
    And so it's possible to stay around this weight with all im doing but still getting toned?
  • desireeorozco859
    Options
    And should I add cardio? I already get 10000 steps in a day usually.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    ^^Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

You're doing great. Don't overthink it! Your 10,000 steps are great. Are you doing most of them while breathing hard enough to make talking difficult? That's cardio.

The thread above answers your build muscle/stay the same weight question.

As far as macros and calories? Myfitnesspal uses well-accepted macros. You can raise protein if you like. Most suggest somewhere in the range of 0.8-1.6g per kilogram of weight.

Here's the Macro/calorie thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Again, don't overthink it. If you're training for bodybuilding, that's one thing. In that case, I would imagine you'd have a trainer with nutrition suggestions. That thread above is really good for macros and calories but you have to log accurately and consistently to get a real idea of your own personal habits and success.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    With your stats I would lose to get to a healthy weight, so be in a deficit. Then make sure you get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goal weight) and do resistance/lifting. You will maintain (and perhaps build) muscle as you lose fat and reveal what you have built. Then when you get to closer to goal you can maintain or recomp to build more muscle if you desire.

While nutrition and getting enough protein and fats is important, you don't have to eat clean. Also you can definitely add cardio (I would recommend it for health).
  • desireeorozco859
    Options
    OK, so I'll keep in deficit, keep doing my workouts until I drop more weight, and once I'm at a better weight, I will go harder on weight training.. Etc. Thank u all so much :-)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Ty:-) OK, so keep doing what I'm doing then, right? I'm going to do about 1800 calories and my thirty minute body weight/resistance work-out almost every day. Whilst eating clean. I just need to figure out my macros, because once I put in, weight loss, I'm not sure it tells me to take enough protein.

No - do what you were saying you were going to wait to do right now ("and THEN start more heavier weight training").
    Picking a proper training program would be the biggest favour you could do for yourself. Training in a deficit can be harder so don't waste your efforts doing something sub-optimal or ineffective. (Your current training could be effective or ineffective but doesn't sound likely to be optimal from your sketchy outline.)

"Add cardio" - means what precisely? The range is enormous and could just be your walking.
    If you want to have good CV fitness then yes of course do some sort of cardio of moderate to higher intensity. Depending on your fitness ambitions those goals steer your exercise choices.
    CV exercise is also great for heart health and to earn a bigger calorie allowance of course.
    (If you think it's necessary to burn fat then that's another myth - burning fat comes from your calorie deficit.)

"Eating clean"? There's so many variations and views on that it's hard to comment. If you have an overall healthy diet then that's great of course but there's no need to eat special foods or exclude certain things to lose weight and exercise.
  • desireeorozco859
    Options
    So right now I'm doing chloe ting, 25 day challenge which i would obviously just keep doing.it alternates between 5 different workouts and lasts about 30-45 each time.
    How to find the right workout?sooo many different options,and when you are a noob like me,its overwhelming,haha.we do have a lot of weights,weight bench,punching bag,barbell etc in the house.but ok,i can deff add some strength training to my daily regime.thank u all so muvh again,for taking the time.
    As far as *eating clean*ill never be 100% on that.lol but...no fast food crap,and no candy etc,thats what i mean.and my big one...alcohol.i will cut this for a while also.le sigh.๐Ÿคฃ
    I do have great will power and dedication,im just confused how and what to do,to get it right.you all gave me a good idea though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,726 Member
    Options
    So right now I'm doing chloe ting, 25 day challenge which i would obviously just keep doing.it alternates between 5 different workouts and lasts about 30-45 each time.
    How to find the right workout?sooo many different options,and when you are a noob like me,its overwhelming,haha.we do have a lot of weights,weight bench,punching bag,barbell etc in the house.but ok,i can deff add some strength training to my daily regime.thank u all so muvh again,for taking the time.
    As far as *eating clean*ill never be 100% on that.lol but...no fast food crap,and no candy etc,thats what i mean.and my big one...alcohol.i will cut this for a while also.le sigh.๐Ÿคฃ
    I do have great will power and dedication,im just confused how and what to do,to get it right.you all gave me a good idea though.

There would be better strength programs in this very good thread, including some that are beginner bodyweight programs so require minimal equipment in case you don't have what you'd need for other (despite the thread title implying weights only):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I'd endorse that "eating clean" is a tangent. Nutrition is important, of course. Get your recommended minimum of protein and fats (prefering healthy fats like nuts, olive oil, avocados, fatty cold water fish with Omega-3s, etc.). Eat plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits for micronutrients and fiber. Hit a sensible calorie goal (not trying to lose so fast it's a health risk). Once that's all dialed in, it's fine to have a cookie or occasional moderate alcohol, or even to occasionally have those things at the expense of one rare day's nutrition.

Personally, I think it's a good long term plan to treat weight loss as weight maintenance practice. Other than the sensible calorie deficit for weight loss, I wasn't willing to do anything during loss (eating, exercise) that I wasn't willing to continue permanently. During weight loss, I experimented and figured out how to balance calories, satiation, nutrition, enjoyment, social engagement, and all of the other factors around food.

I started out around your size (5'5", 183 pounds at age 59). It took me the better part of a year to lose down to the 130s, where I still am now (age 64). For me, figuring out a process that required a minimum of "will power and dedication" was helpful, in making that multi-month effort sustainable, against a backdrop of all the other things in normal daily life that draw on my will-power bank in various ways. YMMV.

And yes, for your goals, start a good strength training program right away. You won't be sorry. :)

Best wishes!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When you get tired of Chloe Ting, you might try Sydney Cummings or something like BodyPump (Quest Club has a lot of Les mills type workouts) on YouTube.