Unfriend MyFitnessPal

Seat12v
Seat12v Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
So my main goal at the moment is to be physically able to not have to relay on logging my meals every day of the week I'm just wondering is it manageable to just be sensible with your meals choices and just control your fork? And still achieve the same goals?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Yes. I don't count calories, use a food scale, or log my meals. And, I'm slowly and steady losing weight just by being more aware of my eating. MFP is a great community and I get motivated and inspired every time that I log in.

If you don't see the results you'd like it might not hurt to start logging your meals and using a food scale. I know at some point I might again be okay with doing both.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 989 Member
    It is - if you can accurately guestimate the weight of everything you ever eat and know how many calories everything contains. Most people, even with years of logging, find that very difficult and typically under-estimate how much they're eating.

Perhaps try it a different way to start with. Note how many calories you think each meal is. Then weigh and log everything and see how close you are. Try that for a week.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Reaching our dream weight and moving onto maintenance takes focus. No one notices when we stay the same so if you don't rely on a cheering section of compliments or comments to see you through, it entirely possible to unfriend my fitness pal.

One or two years in, you might think you've got it made but when you're no longer looking the body and mind can start fighting so hard against you and you're eating it all back. It it weren't true you wouldn't see so many starting over and over again.

Many become overconfident once they reach their dream weight. Those old eating patterns start gliding gently by until one day they're strong as a roaring lion. You're fighting tooth and toenail to get your old mojo back.
    You've just hit the pause button mentality.

You start over thinking that getting a fresh start will be the magic bullet. At that point, being mindful, intuitive eating, listening to what your body tells you, following your hunger cues, do whatever works for...all of these things lack any real direction.

If you're in touch with your body's hunger cues you don't need direction or a road map to get you there. Listening to your mind and body is a superpower. The rest of need to implement a strategy.

What's good for the MFP bee hive is good for all of the bees. Some are busy flapping their twt0bcxswejx.png
    wings trying to keep the hive nice and cool and some just enjoy flapping their lips. Connection matters. Bees know it.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    For me it depends on my job and lifestyle. I don't have issues with my weight when I have an active job and lifestyle, but it's a struggle with a desk job and when there's more hyper-palatable food in my house than I would choose.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Seat12v wrote: »
    So my main goal at the moment is to be physically able to not have to relay on logging my meals every day of the week I'm just wondering is it manageable to just be sensible with your meals choices and just control your fork? And still achieve the same goals?

The answer to that question will be different for everyone. There are many people who started logging on mfp and then after awhile were able to eat the correct cals without logging. Other people might do better cycling on and off, using the time on to relearn the lessons and the time off as a break from logging. And for some of us, logging is simply a necessary habit. For me, when I stop logging everything starts to unravel. Luckily, I can practically log in my sleep now so I'm happy to continue doing it.

The only way you'll know is to try. You could start out logging some days and not others, to see if not logging is comfortable and if you are in control on those off days, and then go from there. Whatever you decide, good luck :smile:
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    For me, not if I want to lose weight. I can maintain my weight pretty easily, but losing requires tracking for me.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Seat12v wrote: »

After logging for a long time, you should know what a sensible meal looks like. Some people's behaviour is a lot better when a policeman is around. If you're not policing yourself by having to enter reasonable numbers on a chart, it is possible you might lose your self control due to lack of accountability. Only you would know what you're able for in that aspect.